Apple iPhone SE 2020

Ohhh but it doesn't have Night Mode, they cried. And my question, therefore, is this... Does it matter?

FF0B1B4A-F1DB-4A8D-8F2A-53DD97A6D5E6.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Of course its not an excellent photo, but it was taken in the early hours, and the only available light was from one bar of the radiator and a bit of light from 29% of a LIFX in the kitchen. I think in most circumstances where you don’t have a lot of available light, it will be just fine.

Its been cropped, but no noise reduction or sharpening etc. Just the crop.

My wife is considering it to replace her aged 6S Plus. I'm pretty comfortable with Android but I'll admit this one had me looking as well. If it weren't such a pain switching OSes maybe - not for the camera, per se, more the value proposition.

My wife is considering it to replace her aged 6S Plus. I'm pretty comfortable with Android but I'll admit this one had me looking as well. If it weren't such a pain switching OSes maybe - not for the camera, per se, more the value proposition.

Your wife will notice a difference. I didnt notice much, coming from a 7, but I updated so that I would have OS and security updates for longer. Thats something that people on older phones need to consider. 6S and old SE are safe for now, so is the 7, but the SE 2020 will last longer in that regard.

I'm still very happy with my 'old' SE, and I prefer the smaller size to modern phones. But from previous experience I know that eventually the battery performance will fade and that the world will move on in terms of OS version and app updates. At that point the 'new' SE will be top of my shopping list, and hopefully a bit cheaper too.

Meanwhile, I'm saving my pennies with a SIM only plan.

-R

Last edited:
My wife is considering it to replace her aged 6S Plus.
Very well done. Let me explain...I remember years ago when my daughter always referred wantingly to me starting and maintaining a "success fund" (6S, geddit?) so I could save up and buy her that phone. I eventually did. But that feels like an age ago, certainly several iterations of iPhone to what she now has. To keep working a 6S as your wife has in this day and age after so long is very impressive, I wish my daughter did.

Very well done. Let me explain...I remember years ago when my daughter always referred wantingly to me starting and maintaining a "success fund" (6S, geddit?) so I could save up and buy her that phone. I eventually did. But that feels like an age ago, certainly several iterations of iPhone to what she now has. To keep working a 6S as your wife has in this day and age after so long is very impressive, I wish my daughter did.
We got off the smartphone upgrade treadmill several years ago. I used to be as guilty of it as anyone, but that was when an expensive phone was $800 instead of $1200! I am still using a Nokia 6 that cost me $179 in 2017, and yes it still works. I do need to upgrade it soon, though. Thinking the Pixel 3a will get a heavy discount when the 4a launches, then I'll snap one up.

I’m sorely tempted by that new SE. My contract on the P20 Pro is up next month, and Huawei aren’t releasing any more security updates for it. But Android 10 is coming soon, so I think I’ll go SIM-only for a while. Maybe there’ll be some good deals for Xmas on the iPhone.

I’m sorely tempted by the iPhone 12 Mini, because of the size reduction. I never wanted a big phone and I do regard the SE as “big”. In the meantime here’s a couple more shots, just because...

Toby is really depressed at the moment, he’s just laying on the chair out front of the house and doing the thousand yard stare... because its been raining since last night and just hasnt stopped for a minute.

ADEC3E5A-CACD-4457-917B-26D7E4322C16.jpeg

It started in the early hours (about 1am I think)

3461722B-885F-4553-8CFA-646694015D3F.jpeg

And I took this one about mid afternoon, my neighbour has a drainage problem...
And its not coming off my yard (I checked today during a huge downpour). She needs an ag pipe and a rubble drain.

D9FE04AF-B00A-443B-B64C-6D042EF778C1.jpeg

Did I mention that its wet?

I’m sorely tempted by the iPhone 12 Mini, because of the size reduction. I never wanted a big phone and I do regard the SE as “big”. In the meantime here’s a couple more shots, just because...

Toby is really depressed at the moment, he’s just laying on the chair out front of the house and doing the thousand yard stare... because its been raining since last night and just hasnt stopped for a minute.

View attachment 252324

It started in the early hours (about 1am I think)

View attachment 252325

And I took this one about mid afternoon, my neighbour has a drainage problem...
And its not coming off my yard (I checked today during a huge downpour). She needs an ag pipe and a rubble drain.

View attachment 252326

Did I mention that its wet?
Looks like it’s going to be raining like this for the next 10 days Sue.

Back