Apple iPhone5 and new iPhone5s low light image comparison.

D

dalethorn

Here's a new comparison of the iPhone5 and iPhone5s in low-ish indoor light, low enough to cause the iPhone5s to go into noise suppression mode. I took 6 frames with each phone, HDR and other options off, using a Joby Griptight camera tripod. I selected the best image from each camera, and here they are. Note that the iPhone5s captures a larger scene and different perspective due to its sensor.

iPhone5:
Test36_Apple_Iphone_5_s.jpg

iPhone5s:
Test36_Apple_Iphone_5s_s.jpg

Hmm, I prefer the second slightly but probably never would have noticed the difference.

The second one, the iPhone5s, is heavily smeared with noise reduction. That apparently was the low-light fix Apple promoted for the iPhone5s.

Thanks, Dale. I'm still on a 3G iPhone 4 and have been using it exclusively for the last several months. There are definitely a lot of really good photographs out there made with an iPhone.

My interest in the next iteration is for the 4G in hopes that the coverage in certain tough areas will improve.

Thanks, Dale. I'm still on a 3G iPhone 4 and have been using it exclusively for the last several months. There are definitely a lot of really good photographs out there made with an iPhone. My interest in the next iteration is for the 4G in hopes that the coverage in certain tough areas will improve.

Thank you. My new iPhones, both now on LTE (better than 4G they say...), are as slow as ever. The funny, almost hilarious thing about the blurbs touting "faster processers, speedier performance" etc. is that the O/S keeps pace with the improved hardware by slowing things down equally with a much greater load on the hardware. That's no different from computers in my experience. The 4G/LTE is a very different issue as far as I can determine - here in the U.S. there are notices everywhere that "cell phone service providers will throttle user bandwidth without notice (or words to that effect) when certain conditions are met", and I'm quite certain that my provider does that not because I meet those conditions, but because they're constantly cutting costs and scamming their users accordingly. When legislation was passed allowing users to keep their same cell phone number forever regardless of transfer to another provider, that brought about a temporary competition in service quality, but that's been absorbed by the vast bureaucracy by now and we're back to something better than string-and-can, but nowhere near what a properly maintained system is capable of. If I had the time to chart my day-to-day cell phone performance on the network, you would be shocked by the poor performance. It's not just my current phone. New and very sophisticated hacking schemes and the security response to those attacks are slowing things down too.

Back