Leica IR photography with M8

Peter Klein

Regular
Name
Peter Klein
Desperate times call for desperate measures. I've still got my old M8. Its excess IR sensitivity ought to make it a good IR camera. Accordingly, today I ordered an R72 IR filter and a couple of step-up rings. I might as well try something new while “The Plague“ has curtailed my musical activities.

Those of you who have used the M8 for IR photography, any tips? Ballpark sunlight exposures, what depth-of-field mark to use for focusing if the lens has no IR mark? Is the M8's internal meter any use with IR? Etc.? All tips greatly appreciated. Please post some sample shots.

Proof of concept: My quick test of an IR TV remote control last May. Yup, the M8 sees things we don't. In magenta, veritas.
<Infrared>

--Peter

Use M8RAW2DNG, you want uncompressed DNG.

Shoot with an Orange Filter. Remind me that I need to convert my IR processing code to Watcom Fortran-77. I did that already for my Gamma Processor for the M Monochrom.

The R72 filter arrived today. So...
This is my front yard:
L1010320.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is my front yard on infrared:
L1010321.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Any questions? :)

Leica M8, 35/2 Summicron IV at f/5.6. Hoya R72* filter for the IR shot. Best IR obtained using the right-hand f/2 DOF mark, based on a very quick hand-held test. The M8 TTL metering is close enough to be useful. The M8's IR shutter speeds in sunlight are about 1/60 second plus or minus one stop at mid-apertures and ISO 160. I boosted the red channel and general contrast in the B&W conversion. The idea was to get the leaves almost white but still maintain some detail.

This is fun.
--Peter

Back