Leica Is anybody else out there wanting an M10?

rflove

Veteran
I'm really wanting to pull the trigger on an M10. I love my M240 and I also like the Q, but I've been reading and watching you tube videos of the new M10 and I think it would be a super nice camera to shoot with.
I like everything from the thinner form to the simpler menus, the physical ISO control, the better viewfinder, and the extended range.
My only quibbles are the shorter battery life and the need to purchase the expensive EVF rather than using the Olympus one. That new EVF is a pretty pricey item on top of the expensive new body..
Selling the M240 and the Q and a few lenses which I rarely use would help to ease the expenditure for the new body. But who am I kidding? I'll probably keep it all LOL!

Still getting used to this combined forum.
Yeah I know, for a minute I thought I was reading the post on the m43 forum and thought "here we go...".

Anyway, is it me, or do the images from the older M cameras seem to have, I dunno....more 'character'? I'm told it takes a while and lots of useage to understand the exact settings required to make those images unique, so maybe its that? Generally, the M10 images I've seen so far seem a bit flat compared to the older versions.

Interesting, I just upgraded to the M10 this week, although I haven't been able to let my M240 go just yet. I'm still in the process of assessing the differences. I have the Leica vf on back order so haven't been able to use it quite as I would normally. The files are a little different, more contrasty I would say and definitely a bit more pop than the 240.

L1003188-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M10 50mm Summilux ASPH

I bought a M10 last year but ended up selling it after a month or so.
I didn't have any specific issues with it but I already have an Monochrome 246 and ended up getting a 240 MP because it shares the same battery and menu system.

I thought you were referring to the Olympus E-M10. :D Still getting used to this combined forum. I've always been curious about Leicas.

I was in the M43 camp before Leica. Had EM-5, EP-5, EM-1 and a couple of Panasonic cameras as well. Oh yeah, had a lot of native and adapted lenses as well. I loved the M43 systems and took a lot of photos with them. But now I've Leica cameras and I'm not looking back :)

NO, OP. Sticking with 240 and MM. If one breaks and the M10 comes down on the used market, then maybe.
I always adopt late and used. That is my budget. Now if the lotto cooperates then Ok.

I can understand your reasoning. I too bought my 240 and the Q used at a great discount. Some of my lenses were also used (Summilux 50 f1.4 and several other ones). However, I can sell the 240 and the Q as well as a number of lenses I'm not using and put that money towards the M10. Fortunately I will have the means to purchase it new, so that's not an issue.

I bought a M10 last year but ended up selling it after a month or so.
I didn't have any specific issues with it but I already have an Monochrome 246 and ended up getting a 240 MP because it shares the same battery and menu system.

Your reasoning makes perfect sense. I might end up disappointed with the M10 as well. However, I love the output of the M10 and like I explained in the OP, I really like the new form which is closer to the original Leica in form and function. The dynamic range is far superior to the 240, and the images are closer to look of the M9 without the limitations of it. I too have been jonesing a 246 MM for some time....

I bought the M10, my first Leica, in December. over the following two months I purchased 5 Leica lenses.

I'm still getting used to the manual focusing, but I love the image quality and simpler controls and shooting experience. I love it!

After being a Canon SLR shooter since high school (45 yrs), I switched to Fuji X top of the line cameras and XF lenses about 3 years ago. The lighter weight, cost, and smaller size with better IQ was we'll worth the switch. My current Fuji cameras are the X100F, X-T2 and X-H1.

I plan on taking my Leica on my next travel vacation to New Zealand. My X100F will go as a back up.

Regards,
Bud James

www.budjames.photography

I’ve toyed with the idea, but the truth is that I continue to be really pleased with the IQ of the M240 and reliability wise, it has been flawless. Each time I get the urge to upgrade, I take the M240 for a spin and fall in love with it all over again.

This is exactly my thought. I like the idea of the M10, and LOVE the design aesthetic (merely 3 back buttons, slimmer profile, improved viewfinder). But from a design standpoint, I also like the "small-yet-beefy" feel of the M240 compared to the slimmer M10. And so far I haven't felt that the IQ difference is enough to justify the change. So I'll continue on with my M240...at least until I stumble across some sort of amazing deal on an M10.

I’ve toyed with the idea, but the truth is that I continue to be really pleased with the IQ of the M240 and reliability wise, it has been flawless. Each time I get the urge to upgrade, I take the M240 for a spin and fall in love with it all over again.

Cheers,

Antonio
This is exactly my thought. I like the idea of the M10, and LOVE the design aesthetic (merely 3 back buttons, slimmer profile, improved viewfinder). But from a design standpoint, I also like the "small-yet-beefy" feel of the M240 compared to the slimmer M10. And so far I haven't felt that the IQ difference is enough to justify the change. So I'll continue on with my M240...at least until I stumble across some sort of amazing deal on an M10.

I definitely understand the sentiments. The 240 is a fabulous camera and I thoroughly enjoy shooting with it. Frankly, it's easier for me to shoot it with fewer mistakes and throw-aways than shooting with my M43 cameras or even the Q... I'm not even going to talk about the Sigma DP2 Merrill (fabulous images when successfully captured). The only other camera that I loved was the Epson RD which I would buy immediately if they reissued it with a modern sensor.

Still, the specs of the M10 are quite impressive and the images I've seen from it are really very, very good. It's like a was talking with my friend and fellow 240 owner (he got me into Leica cameras & lenses). When I was talking about my desire for the M10, he confessed that if he had the $$, he'd buy one in a second! Many people who object to the upgrade mention cost in every post.... I can definitely understand it. I'm not wealthy either and the Leica habit has cost me the price of a very nice sports car LOL! However, I think I can swing the purchase so I want to take that out of the consideration. If that was done, I wonder how many would indeed jump on the M10 without a second thought?

I bought the M10, my first Leica, in December. over the following two months I purchased 5 Leica lenses.

I'm still getting used to the manual focusing, but I love the image quality and simpler controls and shooting experience. I love it!

After being a Canon SLR shooter since high school (45 yrs), I switched to Fuji X top of the line cameras and XF lenses about 3 years ago. The lighter weight, cost, and smaller size with better IQ was we'll worth the switch. My current Fuji cameras are the X100F, X-T2 and X-H1.

I plan on taking my Leica on my next travel vacation to New Zealand. My X100F will go as a back up.

Regards,
Bud James

www.budjames.photography

Lucky you! The trip and the choice of cameras sounds great. Be sure to post images when you return!

In an ideal world, I would like an M10. In the real world, I'm sitting on the fence. These days I mostly use a micro 4/3 camera (Oly E-M5 and fast primes), and sometimes my (original) M Monochrome. My M8 and film M6 are mostly idle. I'm of an age when focusing the RF is not as fast and easy as it used to be. In some ways the M10 would be ideal for me, as it is a superb low-light camera, and I love available darkness. But Leica's quality control and length of repair time issues are a major concern. I keep hearing horror stories about new Leicas arriving defective, and taking months to repair, only to come back not fixed or with something else wrong. All that said, I get a pleasure from shooting Leicas and viewing Leica photographs that I don't get from any other camera.

In an ideal world, I would like an M10. In the real world, I'm sitting on the fence. These days I mostly use a micro 4/3 camera (Oly E-M5 and fast primes), and sometimes my (original) M Monochrome. My M8 and film M6 are mostly idle. I'm of an age when focusing the RF is not as fast and easy as it used to be. In some ways the M10 would be ideal for me, as it is a superb low-light camera, and I love available darkness. But Leica's quality control and length of repair time issues are a major concern. I keep hearing horror stories about new Leicas arriving defective, and taking months to repair, only to come back not fixed or with something else wrong. All that said, I get a pleasure from shooting Leicas and viewing Leica photographs that I don't get from any other camera.

As a former M4/3 shooter I can understand your ideas. Like I posted earlier I was deep into the micro 4/3's world and owned a variety of Olympus and Panasonic bodies and lenses. I still have an m4/3 body and a couple of (make it several) lenses. I used to love shooting with them but once I went with the M240, I never looked back. I got the Q as well and it's a great camera, fixed lens and all. My biggest draw to the M 10 is the low light capability, the smaller size and the simplified concept. I sometimes miss the autofocus feature but in reality, I can shoot the M240 with very good success. Even though the DOF of a f1.4 or f1.2 lens is so shallow, I still get terrific images in spite of my not-so-good eyesight...

I think that the widespread belief that Leica QC is terrible might be somewhat exaggerated. You know, negative voices are louder and gather more audience. Nobody ever writes about when things go right and nothing is failing. The contrary is true and loud voices of complaints are quite disseminated. I do believe that people have had valid complaints about the quality and service, but I haven't experienced anything like that. I find the M240 has glitches and minor bugs but no more than I experienced with the Oly and Panny bodies, and the lenses are orders of magnitude better than anything out there. I will probably swallow hard and fork over the $$$$$ for the M 10 as soon as I can. I hope I have no issues with it and will report my experience.

I ordered a diopter for my M10 but it was the wrong one, the Visoflex was on back order and so I've been shooting mine in live view with my specs on as I didn't seem to be able to get a consistent hit rate using the rf without the corrector. Still no sign of the diopter but the Visoflex came yesterday.... and what a revelation it is compared with the VF2 on the 240. At least I'll be able to use this until the correcting lens comes.... hopefully before my Venice trip in May! That apart, I'm finding the M10 a joy to use with it's simplified menu and slightly smaller size, the M240 was always quite awkward in my hands although I think I shall keep it as I have finally bonded with it after 3 years :) I have found that the highlight recovery is just as others have said, slightly less leeway than the 240.

The Leica M10 intrigues me, as I’ve read that the VF is supposedly much improved, but I have never seen the backside of one! Not even when I bumped into this Aussie chap in Basel last year!

6C9D2C27-E059-4996-8419-ADBBE05F2FC6.jpeg

I will proberly never be able to afford one especially just to see what the fuss is all about. :D

Back