Fuji Is everyone loving their X-Pro1...cos I'm not!

It's an observation. I have two Ricoh cameras st present, having had others in the past, and Pentax too. My first camera was an ME Super and I used an LX and XRX side by side for years.

I have seen many companies succumb to a "reverse takeover" - I have been directly involved in two - but that is actually not what I fear is happening here. Ricoh Camera has always been a small division within a much larger parent. Not so Pentax... I can see a scenario where the "senior" Pentax operating unit has subsumed within it Ricoh's camera operations whilst still remaining a part of the Ricoh corporate structure. As I said, all speculation, and I do not want to be proved right, but...

Sent from another Galaxy

Ricoh Camera has always been a small division within a much larger parent.

So has Pentax. Pentax has not been sold twice because it is really profitable. And moving the engineers from one product type to another is not a great move. It is too inefficient as they have to learn whole new systems. And like I said, and why do that and lose a really good product line? Sounds like a lose-lose situation. Not the Japanese style.

The bean counters will decide, sadly. Please bear in mind I am speculating, not stating facts. But if I were a Ricoh exec, with a weaker brand recognition in the photographic world than Pentax I would put my money into where I thought I could get best RoI.

Again, this is speculation and not what I want to see happen, but I fear for Ricoh.

En passant, I also fear for the direction of this thread. My apologies for taking it off-beam; I shall moderate myself by shutting up now ;)

Back