Fuji Is it me or the cameras?

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
In a recent discussion with a local friend, who is also a Fuji shooter. He mentioned that he liked my portraits shot with the X-Pro2 better than the stuff I've done with the X-T2. It was one of those he couldn't point a finger to. But that there was something he prefered from the work done with the Pro2. That got me to wondering if it is just something about the way I work with one camera over the other. Or is it some subtle difference in the sensor, or more likely the ouput .raf file. I know that the .raf files are different between the two cameras. I can't figure out what it is that is different in the work.

I was taking a long shot that someone may have some insight to offer. My thoughts are that it's most likely something in my head working differently with one camera over the other. Or something in his head with his preferences in photos.

I've heard opinions that rangefinders and rangefinder-layout cameras can result in better natural rapport with a subject because more of the photographer's face is visible to the subject, compared to being hidden behind an SLR viewfinder. But I have no idea whether that is true.

Did you use the cameras at the same time in your life - or at different times?

Were you as familiar with one camera as with the other?
(I could also imagine that a DSLR type camera could be fiddlier to use if you're not completely familiar with all the options.
Vs a rangefinder type camera that might make you accept more easily to work with limited "settings-fiddling" on the camera)

@agentlossing I have read that also. And you very well may be on to something. Interaction, for me, is the most important part of the shoot.

@addieleman I followed along with Adam doing all of that research and comparison. That more than anything is what had me question whether it is indeed the camera.

@Luke its usually the same lenses on either camera. The 35mms, 50/56mm, or the 16-55 when I have one.

@Tilman Paulin since switching to Fuji I switched between the X-E2 and X-T1, then shot the X-Pro2, then the X-T2. Admittedly I both don’t know the X-T2 as well as the Pro2. And I’ve found I prefer the ergonomics/control of the Pro2.

I take the XE3 to certain kinds of events and the XH1 to others, mostly because of the size difference. The XT2 and the XPro2 are similar but is there a bias in which you choose? XT2 for work and XPro2 for fun?

I take the XE3 to certain kinds of events and the XH1 to others, mostly because of the size difference. The XT2 and the XPro2 are similar but is there a bias in which you choose? XT2 for work and XPro2 for fun?
Having spent some time this year with the X-T2. I'm finding that it is a great tool. The T2 gets the job done. But I've never found a love for shooting with it. I think part of this is due to changes in how I work/shoot. The X-T2 is a camera that really gets out of your way when working. These days, I want the camera to get in the way a little. Make me take more time with my shots. And I find that I am missing the optical viewfinder. But that is more for fun.

Having spent some time this year with the X-T2. I'm finding that it is a great tool. The T2 gets the job done. But I've never found a love for shooting with it. I think part of this is due to changes in how I work/shoot. The X-T2 is a camera that really gets out of your way when working. These days, I want the camera to get in the way a little. Make me take more time with my shots. And I find that I am missing the optical viewfinder. But that is more for fun.
Maybe that’s what’s different with the XPro2 shots. You are having fun and shooting what you like as opposed to what you have to shoot. This shows in the images you produce with each. The xt2 images are maybe a bit more “restricted”, whereas the XPro2 shots show some joie de vivre. This from the guy that hasn’t done any comparison, of course.

I think the image quality you can get from both cameras is close enough to be called identical, the differences must come from how you use them and the experiences you get.

I know this because whenever I try some new gear and especially in the honeymoon period, I make some good photos, so that may be it.

Where the shots done at the same time? If not, of say that the friend probably preferred the lighting of one more so than the other, which probably was different from one shoot to the next.

Probably had nothing to do with the cameras output.

Bobby, which viewfinder setting do you normally use with the X-Pro 2? OLED or optical? That's the only thing I can think of that may be influencing you.
If it’s a “working” shoot, I normally use the evf. Personal stuff I use the ovf.

Where the shots done at the same time? If not, of say that the friend probably preferred the lighting of one more so than the other, which probably was different from one shoot to the next.

Probably had nothing to do with the cameras output.
I thought about that. But my lighting should have gotten better. Of course that doesn’t mean it has. And I have better lights now.

Best I can come up with. It must be something about how I work with the Pro2. Combined with the very subtle differences between the Pro2 and T2.

Back