Lighting Is it usable?

I seem to recall 'Mathers of Lancashire' and I'm sure they had a branch in Warrington.
This has reminded me that there was quite a good shop in St. Helens that I bought stuff from too, but I can't for the life of me remember their name.

I was thrilled when Runcorn Shopping City first opened in the late 60's.
Dixon's moved in and I had quite a good rapport with one of their salesman.
I traded in my old Zorki 4 for a Rollei which turned out to be faulty and that's when I bought my Prinzflex M1, which really got me started down this road.

Oh what memories. :D
Fishwicks?

We seem to have gone way off topic, but it's turning into an interesting thread.
How about Gifford Boyd in Hastings.
I drove 300 miles to buy a Panagor 200mm lens off them. :rolleyes:
Yes, it has gone a bit off topic, but I don't mind in the least. And it has definitely turned into a most interesting thread!
Gifford Boyd? I hadn't heard of him. Was your trek worth it?
btw, I ordered the Minolta adapter from Ffordes that Richard recommended. Unfortunately, I think I need a new capacitator in my Minolta flashgun, perhaps my eldest son will be able to do this for me. Hope so!

Last edited:
The 200mm lens was a waste of money to be honest Charles.
I flogged it and a Praktika body to a work colleague who was mad on aeroplanes.
He had a cheap camera with what must have been a standard lens and his photos of 'planes looked like there was an ant in the middle of his photos. :LOL:

Much more recently I've had some good deals with Ffordes too.
My used Olympus 17mm f1.8 I got off them is a peach. (y)
They've also sold a couple of old film cameras on my behalf too.
A very nice company to deal with.

This is the same company, previously known as the Bolton Camera Company. And for UK film enthusiasts, Mathers claim to have the lowest film prices in the UK!
I didn't realise they were still trading.
Way back in the late 60's / early 70's I'm sure it was a family business and they always had a photo on the ad of whom I presumed was the owner (Ann I think).

I didn't realise they were still trading.
Way back in the late 60's / early 70's I'm sure it was a family business and they always had a photo on the ad of whom I presumed was the owner (Ann I think).
It was a family business, owned and run by a chap called McDonough (I don't recall his first name), and his son Terence was also in the business. I don't remember an Ann being involved.

There was no such thing as a Minolta 3400HS flashgun

It could be either 3200i or a 5200i if it came or was made in the era of your 7000i body. Later they made 3500xi, 5400xi and 5400HS. All of these used the Minolta exclusive AutoLock shoe. To use on a regular shoe/body or trigger, you do indeed need a Minolta FS-1200 adapter.

Once you get the FS-1200 adapter, it will fit in regular hot shoes of other brands but you will not get TTL, auto zoom or AF illumination. Neither for the other models i mentioned. So only Manual flash in Manual mode will be available.

If your flash is a 3200i or 3500xi, there was only a full/low power selector for manual powered flash ( you will need an instruction manual to get an idea of the power for each level )
If your flash is a 5200i, 5400xi or 5400HS, there are numerous manual power levels you can select to fine tune the power of the flash to the exposure settings and ISO you have selected on your body.

If you were using a Sony body, using a Sony ADP-MAA adapter instead of the Minolta FS-1200, you would gain auto zoom and flash ready signals. If you use a 5200i,5400xi or 5400HS, you would also get on the rear LCD of the flash the distance that would be covered in Manual mode and this range of distance would change as you change your exposure settings on the body (ISO, aperture and zoom position)

There was no such thing as a Minolta 3400HS flashgun

It could be either 3200i or a 5200i if it came or was made in the era of your 7000i body. Later they made 3500xi, 5400xi and 5400HS. All of these used the Minolta exclusive AutoLock shoe. To use on a regular shoe/body or trigger, you do indeed need a Minolta FS-1200 adapter.

Once you get the FS-1200 adapter, it will fit in regular hot shoes of other brands but you will not get TTL, auto zoom or AF illumination. Neither for the other models i mentioned. So only Manual flash in Manual mode will be available.

If your flash is a 3200i or 3500xi, there was only a full/low power selector for manual powered flash ( you will need an instruction manual to get an idea of the power for each level )
If your flash is a 5200i, 5400xi or 5400HS, there are numerous manual power levels you can select to fine tune the power of the flash to the exposure settings and ISO you have selected on your body.

If you were using a Sony body, using a Sony ADP-MAA adapter instead of the Minolta FS-1200, you would gain auto zoom and flash ready signals. If you use a 5200i,5400xi or 5400HS, you would also get on the rear LCD of the flash the distance that would be covered in Manual mode and this range of distance would change as you change your exposure settings on the body (ISO, aperture and zoom position)
Sorry Michel, it is actually a 3600HS D. I confused myself! (It's an age thing). Would you by any chance know the spec for it's capacitor, or where I can find out?

Last edited:
Sorry Michel, it is actually a 3600HS D. I confused myself! (It's an age thing). Would you by any chance know the spec for it's capacitor, or where I can find out?
That is the successor to the 3500xi ( made from 2001 versus 1988 for the 7000i) so it will operate the same way as the 3500xi with no TTL, no AF illuminator and only 2 power settings

And sorry i have no info on the innards of these flash units since it is dangerous to work on stuff with large capacitors unless you really have good knowledge of how to empty capacitors before working inside a flash.

What are the symptoms that make you think you need a new capacitor ?
This flash is only 20 years old and the problems usually lie with corroded or oxidized battery contacts that would not allow the flash to turn on. Maybe something to look at before thinking of bad capacitors.

Last edited:
Back