Sony is it worth it

I will bypass the 7 series and stick with their SLT's. Why fork out /12 the price of the body just to get an adapter. And it doesn't have steady shot with the old Minolta glass. If/when my 2 bodies die. I'd probably go for an A9 or something with 2 dial buttons and a top lcd. The only things I'm pissed about currently.

BUT! Sony recommends turning off e-first curtain shutter for use with most A-Mount lenses to provide correct exposure and even lighting. I guess those old lenses like the mechanical shutters.
If I remember correctly, it has something to do with the diaphragm still closing down to the working aperture while the shutter is already open. Some users commented at the time that not all A-lenses suffered from this, so it may be nice to have the option of EFCS. I used a few A-lenses with the LA-EA3 on my A7R2, notably the 4/35-70mm and 4.5/100-200mm, always with EFCS, and I never had problems.

Here’s a comparison with the A7C:
The A7 is actually thinner and lighter.
Wow! I had compared it to the larger Ff bodies but not the 7C. That thing is small.
If I remember correctly, it has something to do with the diaphragm still closing down to the working aperture while the shutter is already open. Some users commented at the time that not all A-lenses suffered from this, so it may be nice to have the option of EFCS. I used a few A-lenses with the LA-EA3 on my A7R2, notably the 4/35-70mm and 4.5/100-200mm, always with EFCS, and I never had problems.
I think the recommendation is limited to the original screw-drive AF lenses with the motor in the camera, not the later Sony versions with the motor in the lens. I'm only interested in the older first versions anyway.

I've been shooting with E first curtain turned on and while I didn't notice anything at the time, after turning it off, images do look like they have a more even exposure. There don't seem to be any other changes.

Still, @lucien isn't wrong. $750 for a used body + $250 for a used adapter doesn't make a lot of sense.

Back