Fuji Is it worth picking up an XE1?

teefin1

Regular
I had an XPro1 and loved it, then sold it to buy an A99. I did then buy an XM1, but found the lack of certain features a bit of a deal breaker.

The XE1 can be had refurbished for under £300, is it worth it? It wouldn't be my main camera, and I presume the AF speed and IQ would be identical to the Pro, the EVF a little better than the Pro and generally a little subpar to the newer X Series cams.

Grateful for any advice.

I think it's the best value in the mirrorless market. My wife has a pair of them and I found myself using them more than my own X Pro 1 cameras. The size, feel and IQ are terrific.

That's great to know, thank you. Do you find the XE1 AF significantly improved through FW updates? I certainly did with the XPro.

I'm finding that the X-E1 is really making me think about exposure and composition more than any other digital camera I've owned. I suppose it's because you make so many conscious choices with it, not relying on "auto this" or "special effect that." Jury is still out over whether it improves my photography, but it sure is fun to use.

The recent firmware updates have made it even more attractive. After using various cameras in aperture priority for the past 30 years I now find that I'm shooting everything on full manual. The XE1 update added Preview Exposure in Manual which really makes it fun to step back to manual exposure.
AF speed is fine but I don't shoot action with these cameras so for me it's more "push button focus' than 'auto focus'.

I recently bought one along with the 27mm pancake, as a jacket-pocket alternative to an X100/X100s and to backup my X-Pro1. It's a great camera in both roles. Lovely image quality, of course, and with the current firmware the AF and overall functionality are excellent.

I agree with the posters above that the X-E1 is an amazing value given today's prices for the camera.

Certainly. I prefer the form factor of the X-E1 for most purposes. I am a long term Leica M user and find it more natural. I shall use the X-T1 for long-lens and macro. When I can afford it, I shall upgrade to the X-E2 or X-Pro2.

Certainly. I prefer the form factor of the X-E1 for most purposes. I am a long term Leica M user and find it more natural. I shall use the X-T1 for long-lens and macro. When I can afford it, I shall upgrade to the X-E2 or X-Pro2.

Thanks for elaborating. I don't have a background with rangefinders but do share your preference for their form factor. If the upcoming firmware update(s) bring the X-E2 further into X-T1 territory, then the decision between the two boils down to ergonomics/haptics.

If you don't photograph things that move and need another body, it is a great camera. All around fantastic IQ. That said, I'm not sure prices have stabilized yet, I see prices dropping even further.

Back