Is my DSLR compact enough? Small enough?

Even some mirror-less cameras are beginning to get some size. The Panasonic GH3 appears to be almost as large as my Nikon D7000, and I do not consider the Nikon a compact.

Size is not so much of an issue for me. I've tried a number of compact cameras and some are simply too small (the GRD4 is about my threshold). It's the weight that's more of an issue. Carrying my Olympus E-5 + ginormous f2 zoom lens was a burden. So a larger M43s camera will offer improved handholding size (for larger hands) but with the weight benefit of M43s lenses.

Could not resist this. I'll give it a go for a while. Sold my original about 7 years ago. Always regretted it. It's bigger and heavier than i remember, but it' dead comfy in the hand. Its spotless too with only 6.5k on the clock.
8629490708_a3411586fe_b.jpg

_DSC4825 by sucofni, on Flickr

Could not resist this. I'll give it a go for a while. Sold my original about 7 years ago. Always regretted it. It's bigger and heavier than i remember, but it' dead comfy in the hand. Its spotless too with only 6.5k on the clock.
8629490708_a3411586fe_b.jpg

_DSC4825 by sucofni, on Flickr

I've got one of them gathering dust, perhaps I'll be able to keep you company (as it were) from time to time. Mind you mine's smaller :D , no add on battery pack :)

Barrie

Surprised to find not a lot of extra weight, But better balance and more comfortable to hold than body only . The grip will be staying on for a while. Also make low level shooting a doddle,
even though the camera is wrong:D way up

You know what? I almost bought an Olympus E-420 with 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 a few years ago. I've always regretted not pulling the trigger on that. I guess all I can do is hope the next generation of Olympus micro four-thirds cameras will be able to take lenses like that without adaptors while offering full performance. But I really liked the simple and small E-420 a lot. The fact that it lacked IBIS didn't bother me a bit.

You know what? I almost bought an Olympus E-420 with 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 a few years ago. I've always regretted not pulling the trigger on that. I guess all I can do is hope the next generation of Olympus micro four-thirds cameras will be able to take lenses like that without adaptors while offering full performance. But I really liked the simple and small E-420 a lot. The fact that it lacked IBIS didn't bother me a bit.

I still have my E410, it is a little sweetie, especially with the 25mm pancake.

If you've been wondering whether or not it's OK to discuss your smaller DSLR here or post photographs, please check out this thread which has recently been updated: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f17/what-compact-my-camera-compact-16/ The bottom line is if the camera is larger than what feels small to you, you won't consider it small, but if it feels small to you, it is small enough.:flowers_2:

Therefore, those people who consider a camera small, are allowed to discuss it, but other people who consider the same camera as big, are not allowed to discuss it. Or even better: People who consider a Nikon D800 small are allowed to discuss it, but people who consider a Panasonic GH3 as big are not allowed to discuss it.

im hoping to get a used e1 just for nostalgia
its been the best feeling camera to hold ive ever tried
by a big margin!
can i fit on a new 3" screen??? lol

My old DSLR (Canon Xti/400d) with a prime lens feels small to me. The same with the battery grip and/or any larger zoom does NOT.

Back