Micro 4/3 Is my Pana 14-140mm defective?

ibd

Regular
I got a new (used) Panasonic 14-140mm superzoom travel lens for my ongoing travels in Asia. It's their second iteration of the lens with weather sealing. I noticed that, sometimes, the camera would give an indication that focus could not be achieved.

At first, I thought the Pen-F's poor focusing performance was to blame in certain backlit situations. After repeated failures in certain situations and trying the lens on another Olympus camera, a E-M1 mark II, also with manual focus, I realized that the problem seems to be with the lens itself:

Between 50-80 mm, the lens cannot focus to infinity but stops shortly before that, never getting acceptably sharp. This seems to be the case with autofocus but also with manual focussing.

Luckily, the lens is still under warranty.
Should I assume my copy is defective and send it back or should I still try the lens on a Panasonic body first to fully confirm it?

I got a new (used) Panasonic 14-140mm superzoom travel lens for my ongoing travels in Asia. It's their second iteration of the lens with weather sealing. I noticed that, sometimes, the camera would give an indication that focus could not be achieved.

At first, I thought the Pen-F's poor focusing performance was to blame in certain backlit situations. After repeated failures in certain situations and trying the lens on another Olympus camera, a E-M1 mark II, also with manual focus, I realized that the problem seems to be with the lens itself:

Between 50-80 mm, the lens cannot focus to infinity but stops shortly before that, never getting acceptably sharp. This seems to be the case with autofocus but also with manual focussing.

Should I assume my copy is defective and send it back or should I still try the lens on a Panasonic body first to fully confirm it?
I took this said lens on holiday last year as my only lens..it never missed a beat on my oly e-m1ii , and i have had two of this lens before stuck to oly bodies..they too performed way above expectation..You might well have a dud.

I don’t have any experience using this lens on Olympus but on my Panasonic cameras it performs perfectly. So much so that it is now used as my main everyday lens. I suspect that you have a defective copy.

Back