Is my team ploughing (horses at work)

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
Those are not A E Housman´s blue remembered hills in the far distance, but the South Hams of Devon as seen from Sorley Cross just outside Kingsbridge at todays vintage farming rally, and these guys pulling the plough are Robert and Harold.

1090365-b_w.jpg

1090360-b_w.jpg

1090329-b_w.jpg

1090336-b_w.jpg

Barrie

Nice shots. Just a personal thing but I think the firt one would be better with less drama in the sky. I find it distracting.

One day the folks of Devon will discover John Deere and things will never be the same again ;)

Great series Barrie. Showed the better half who lives for horses and you got a thumbs up. (y) High praise indeed!

Third shot does it for me. Although you can't see what the horses are pulling there is a lot of character in that shot.

LouisB

One day the folks of Devon will discover John Deere and things will never be the same again ;)

Great series Barrie. Showed the better half who lives for horses and you got a thumbs up. (y) High praise indeed!

Thanks Mark, and kindly thank your better half for me. I have a photograph of an early John Deere there (with the side by side front wheels), the driver is in my other series on people there https://www.photographerslounge.org/f23/characters-agricultural-show-people-work-20854/

Barrie

I spent many long hours in my youth, following mules and horses through the fields and woods. We had no tractor on the small dairy farm, until after I left home. About 90 acres of crop and pasture land was cared for by "horse/mule/man/boy" power. We also did some small timber logging with them. A lot of hard work and great memories, attached to working animals. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Great shots of horses pushing (not pulling a plow). Harnesses and gear are designed for the horses to push against the collar that rides around their neck, thus resulting in the plow moving forward. My first "real job" on the farm was driving a pair of these gentle giants up and down the rows "packing" the just planted corn on my parent's farm. I was all of about seven years old.

Beautifully seen and I think you are just getting better and better and better to best in your black and white, Barrie!

By the way, I love the high key drama in your first as Robert and Harold are putting their all into it. The textures throughout are fantastic - and so is this handsome pair. Wonderful!

Beautifully seen and I think you are just getting better and better and better to best in your black and white, Barrie!

By the way, I love the high key drama in your first as Robert and Harold are putting their all into it. The textures throughout are fantastic - and so is this handsome pair. Wonderful!

+1 to that! You'r turning out great BnW... Bold and Dramatic is a style I enjoy.

Back