Is Pan DMC FZ200 the new #1 bridgecamera?

X-S1 has a bigger sensor, probably better sealing/build quality, manual zoom.
FZ200 has constant f2.8, and is quite a big lighter.
But doesn't the lens droop? And it needs the new sensor.

It was the FZ10 and FZ20 that brought me back to photography so I'm well disposed to the Lumix Range

X-S1 has a bigger sensor, probably better sealing/build quality, manual zoom.
FZ200 has constant f2.8, and is quite a big lighter.

Did anyone read that super-zoom test in one of the UK camera magazines about a month ago?
(Sorry, can't remember the name of the magazine)
I just skipped over it, but the X-S1 fared not as well as I expected. Their overall winner was the Canon SX40.
Looking at their test photos for sharpness/softness supported their conclusion.
(Of course there's more to cameras than that, but there's also more to cameras than sensor size :) )

Does anyone have a link to a current super-zoom group test?

The X-S1 has lens droop in some cameras. I've also read that some feel that it doesn't seem to affect sharpness, but I'd take that with a grain of salt. I'm in the market for a bridge camera to replace my m43 kit. I'm just tired of carrying around a whole slew of lenses when I go on vacation. The Fuji and the Panasonic are the 2 that I have zeroed in on.

The X-S1 has lens droop in some cameras. I've also read that some feel that it doesn't seem to affect sharpness, but I'd take that with a grain of salt. I'm in the market for a bridge camera to replace my m43 kit. I'm just tired of carrying around a whole slew of lenses when I go on vacation. The Fuji and the Panasonic are the 2 that I have zeroed in on.

Oly makes a 14-150mm lens, Panny has a similar one. So perhaps m4/3 is still a go'er?

Oly makes a 14-150mm lens, Panny has a similar one. So perhaps m4/3 is still a go'er?

Thanks for the suggestion Lili. Once you've tasted of the 300mm (600mm effective) goodness, it's hard to give up the ultrareach. And just having the option to add extra lenses will mean I will buy more. I'm really enjoying just shooting at "normal" focal lengths and appreciating the IQ of an APS-C sensor. Since that will be for my "serious" photography, I'm willing to accept an IQ hit for my "tourist" photography.

Thanks for the suggestion Lili. Once you've tasted of the 300mm (600mm effective) goodness, it's hard to give up the ultrareach. And just having the option to add extra lenses will mean I will buy more. I'm really enjoying just shooting at "normal" focal lengths and appreciating the IQ of an APS-C sensor. Since that will be for my "serious" photography, I'm willing to accept an IQ hit for my "tourist" photography.

Understood Luke. I too am attracted to the concept of the Superzoom like the XZ-1, HS30, FZ200, et all. In reality having the reach is wonderful for 'those moments' but not at the expense of size/weight and lens speed. My carrry-cameras all have f2.8 or faster primes or short zoom. When I do carry a Zoomie, it is one of my little 15x zoom Fuji F series.
They are no much bigger than my phone!

I'm keen on the FZ200, too.

I doubt Leica would allow Panasonic to brand a lens as "Leica" if it were not at least good. I've been interested in the Fuji XS-1, but there have been enough QC issues that I'm hesitant, plus there are rumors that Fuji is dropping the XS line.

It seems like there is a real surge in the superzoom market.

I would hope Sony wouldn't let fear of success make their decisions for them. They should be confident that "real" photographers would NEVER use a superzoom. ;) Make the best compact, make the best superzoom, make the the best ILC and make the best DSLR and let people decide what type of camera they want. Heck there's plenty of people on this website that would buy one of each. Cannibalize, schnanibalize.

Thank God I'm not a "real" photographer! :happy-084: I've grown tired of schlepping around my DSLR & Sigma 170-500, too bulky and soooo conspicuous.

If I could get wildlife photos with a Panny FZ200 at ISO 100 that are fairly close to my Pentax K-x @ ISO 800, how could I resist?

Seems clear to me: weight and size matters. Also costs of extra lenses. What we need is a semi prof/amateur bridge camera with
sealed body and lens. Price doesn't matter in the first place. One camera suits all needs-the new bridgecamera from ? I would pay up to 1000 bugs for it.

^ whilst your suggested camera sounds very nice indeed, I doubt your local camera store would very much appreciate you paying them with a thousand bugs. 1000 bucks might do the trick though ;) sorry just couldn't resist after I imagined you paying with a bucketload of dead (or maybe even live) insects! :tongue::D

I'm really enjoying just shooting at "normal" focal lengths and appreciating the IQ of an APS-C sensor. Since that will be for my "serious" photography, I'm willing to accept an IQ hit for my "tourist" photography.
So, Luke, what are you using for your "serious" Photography. Somewhere along the way, I missed the transition.

Back