Is the ORBS issue a reason NOT tot buy any X-sensor Fujifilm cam?

Herman

The Image Stimulator
Name
Herman
To me it is.
Fujifilm tries to reduce the problem with a firmware update. Not to eliminate.
Maybe Fujifilm is unable to fix the problem due to hardware engineering issues of the X-sensor design.
What you think?

For some people it is, for some its not. I'd say if you really like doing a lot of longer exposure night shots in urban areas from a tripod into direct sources of light, you should DEFINITELY stay away from it. If not, its a matter of how perfect you need your cameras to be. I've had a couple of orbs show up in a couple of thousand photos - in one it was pretty bad, in the other hardly noticeable. That's well within my tolerances for imperfection. But some people are really bothered by even the possibility of orbs and they certainly CAN happen under certain circumstances. I'm keeping mine for the foreseeable future and if I ever do sell it, it won't be because of orbs...

-Ray

Thanks for your reply. Just wonder, why is the X-10 hidden? It's not the first introduced X sensor cam by Fujifilm.
Why X10 and not (yet) the X100 are suffering from white orbs?
Only Fujifilm knows, sure about that.

What do you mean, "hidden"?

The X10 and the XS1 both seem to have it and both share the same smaller sensor and same EXR "pixel binning" technology. The X100 and the X-Pro have much larger APS sensors that haven't shown ANY indication of the same thing. Since the X10 showed the possibility of the orbs from day 1, I don't think you have to worry that the X100 or X-Pro will suddenly develop them. I don't worry about them in my X10. The thought never even crosses my MIND with the X100. I'm not going to buy the X-Pro but a fear of future orbs would be the LAST thing that would dissuade me.

-Ray

I do find with my X10 that the lighter areas are way to bright at times which can be really annoying. I'm not convinced with this camera if i'm honest. Shame as it's a beautiful bit of kit.

I don't care much about WDS. I'm now also using the X-S1 to replace my HS20. I have much bigger issues with Fuji than WDS. Among the 4 X models, there are plenty of discrepancies and incompatibilities regarding the button/controls layout and firmware functions. Plus there are several firmware bugs that bother me more than WDS.

I don't think about it much at all, although I do try to avoid shots with lots of bright reflections. OTOH, I do that with all of my cameras. I really like the IQ of the X-10 so this is a minor problem (at best) for me. I don't use low iso for night shots so my biggest concern is reflections off chrome or water (for example) for a bright daylight shot. I think Ray's comment above pretty much sums up the sensible advice concerning the WDS.

The orbs is a complete non-issue for me, it has shown up in an objectionable way twice in the over 3500 frames I have shot so far.

Thanks for your reply. Just wonder, why is the X-10 hidden? It's not the first introduced X sensor cam by Fujifilm.
Why X10 and not (yet) the X100 are suffering from white orbs?
Only Fujifilm knows, sure about that.

The sensors are different both size wise and manufacture wise so there should be no expectation that because white orbs appear on some X10 images they should appear on X100 images (I have not seen any evidence of this on my X100 images).

I thought the X10 was an amazing little camera. I also have a proclivity of shooting toward the light so for me it wasn't prudent. When I got the camera and found out I tested it in the manner that I would likely shoot heavily forcing the issue which is to say it doesn't happen on every exposure, see Bob's [Landshark] post above. I also needed it for a vacation and couldn't wait for an update or changes.. So if that matters to you, remember choosing the camera is based on how YOU shoot.. not on how other people do.

I ended up with a Canon G12.. which is dependable and did what I needed it to on my trip however will likely be selling it [transferable warranty and all] because even though it did the job it just doesn't inspire me like some of my other cameras do. The point being if you have the time, take the time, make sure the camera will do what you want it to.

Shooting night as much as I do there are always artifacts around very bright light sources no matter what camera one uses. I would have to determine whether the x10 would be acceptable by trial in person.

Back