Fuji Is the X-E1 for me?

Armando, I've never seriously tried to make face detection work; maybe it's more sophisticated on the EM-5 than on my other cameras that have the option. Is it really reliable enough that you can use it in lieu of spot focusing and locking on the eyes?

It is very good on the EM5 and it was very good on the EP2/3. The Oly's allow for just normal face detection or prioritizing eyes, left eye, or right eye. On the Panasonics, the face detection was just like normal face detections. They all worked well, but I prefer the Oly implementation. I leave it on eyes priority.

It is very good on the EM5 and it was very good on the EP2/3. The Oly's allow for just normal face detection or prioritizing eyes, left eye, or right eye. On the Panasonics, the face detection was just like normal face detections. They all worked well, but I prefer the Oly implementation. I leave it on eyes priority.

Armando, thanks. I had no idea that face detection had achieved that level of sophistication. Next time I see the grandkids I'll have to try it out on them.

The OM-D's face detection works amazingly well. So well that when it's on its tough not to focus on a face :)

I got the X-E1. Not in the same focusing league at all. I am not sure why, when both cameras use contrast focusing, the OM-D is able to focus on many things with little contrast and the Fuji needs a LOT of contrast. I was shooting some flowers I have indoors, in macro, to compare the two cameras ("macro mode" on each and not the lens macro from my 12-50mm, same equivalent focal length). The OM-D would focus every single time and the X-E1 would take me seconds before it would lock focus. I'm sure I'll learn to work around those limitations but the OM-D was certainly amazing there.

I think my goal at this point is to see if I can live with the X-E1's menus/shooting style/etc. well enough, and if I can, then I'll probably return both cameras and get the X100S. I know it seems crazy to spend more on a X100S than on a full OM-D kit but I figure if the camera is big enough that always need a bag... it won't be used as much. The X100S form factor should work better. Once I get hooked, I'm sure I'll get into a system but I don't need to do that right now.

The OM-D's face detection works amazingly well. So well that when it's on its tough not to focus on a face :)

I got the X-E1. Not in the same focusing league at all. I am not sure why, when both cameras use contrast focusing, the OM-D is able to focus on many things with little contrast and the Fuji needs a LOT of contrast. I was shooting some flowers I have indoors, in macro, to compare the two cameras ("macro mode" on each and not the lens macro from my 12-50mm, same equivalent focal length). The OM-D would focus every single time and the X-E1 would take me seconds before it would lock focus. I'm sure I'll learn to work around those limitations but the OM-D was certainly amazing there.

I think that it is just technological progression. It took Olympus the two years between the original E-P1 and the E-P3/E-PL3/E-PM1 to bring their CDAF to at or near best-in-class, and during that time the AF of their cameras lagged behind those of Panasonic.

Was that a used price? That is quite good and I don't see that lens anywhere near that right now. I am going to try a friend's 20mm pancake for sizing too.

For a while there were a lot of brand new 14mm lenses that were being sold as grey market items from Asia that had been split from GF2 and GF3 kits. I can still see some available now on eBay from Hong Kong for about $180.

Too bad that each company or new system seems to have to go through that same technological progression...

Yes, too bad indeed, but there have been exceptions. Panasonic had it figured out from quite early on. For instance, even compared to the E-M5 I wouldn't describe my 2009 model GH1 as slow by any means. Nikon also got their 1-series cameras working well straight out of the box (in good light anyway).

Back