Film Is there anybody out there?

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Name
Martin Connolly
Kenneth is doing a sterling job posting interesting links, but there doesn't seem to be much else happening. Is it just because it's summer, or are we all waiting to get rolls of film finished and developed? (I know I am!)

I just finished a really tough term and school year, so am slowly resurfacing after a couple of weeks of enforced abstinence from scanning, processing and posting. This should change in the next couple of days/weeks, but right now I don't feel like spending a lot of time fiddling with technology ... Never stopped taking images, though, and have a couple of cameras loaded and already some new rolls to process ...

There's a bit more to my being a bit "reduced", so to speak: A considerable number of processed rolls (at least three month's worth of shots, probably more) got delayed somewhere between the lab and delivery due to a cyber attack on TNT Europe! The negatives are currently in some storage facility until they can get things sorted out. I may even have to wait until August if things don't work out this week (because the photography store will close up for a summer break for three weeks, starting next Monday). There are still a couple of rolls left to look through, but after that, I'll run dry ... No big deal, just a nuisance.

I think images and also reports and comments about recent experiences with a camera or while out shooting might work best to revive the board - though most crucially, FiF was really worthwhile (if challenging ...), so maybe a common goal or challenge? SoF (Summer on Film - or SoF/WoF to include our mates from down under), anyone? Or FiJA (or *JJA, to make things more viable)? Or maybe something with a common theme this time?

M.

I just finished a really tough term and school year, so am slowly resurfacing after a couple of weeks of enforced abstinence from scanning, processing and posting. This should change in the next couple of days/weeks, but right now I don't feel like spending a lot of time fiddling with technology ... Never stopped taking images, though, and have a couple of cameras loaded and already some new rolls to process ...

There's a bit more to my being a bit "reduced", so to speak: A considerable number of processed rolls (at least three month's worth of shots, probably more) got delayed somewhere between the lab and delivery due to a cyber attack on TNT Europe! The negatives are currently in some storage facility until they can get things sorted out. I may even have to wait until August if things don't work out this week (because the photography store will close up for a summer break for three weeks, starting next Monday). There are still a couple of rolls left to look through, but after that, I'll run dry ... No big deal, just a nuisance.

I think images and also reports and comments about recent experiences with a camera or while out shooting might work best to revive the board - though most crucially, FiF was really worthwhile (if challenging ...), so maybe a common goal or challenge? SoF (Summer on Film - or SoF/WoF to include our mates from down under), anyone? Or FiJA (or *JJA, to make things more viable)? Or maybe something with a common theme this time?

M.
Hope you get your stuff back Matt, that's very unfortunate. I agree, we need some images soon. I've just re-shot a roll on my Minox to get developed, and have another one on the go in the Agfa optima. I'm sure I'll get through a roll in the Zorki very soon!

Hope you get your stuff back Matt, that's very unfortunate. I agree, we need some images soon. I've just re-shot a roll on my Minox to get developed, and have another one on the go in the Agfa optima. I'm sure I'll get through a roll in the Zorki very soon!
Nice collection you mention there - very intriguing. I've come across the Zorki and the Agfa online - keen to know what they can do. And I sure want to know how you like the Minox :)

As far as the missing rolls are concerned: They're not lost, they're just stuck. I'll get them eventually ...

M.

Nice collection you mention there - very intriguing. I've come across the Zorki and the Agfa online - keen to know what they can do. And I sure want to know how you like the Minox :)

As far as the missing rolls are concerned: They're not lost, they're just stuck. I'll get them eventually ...

M.
The Agfa is very much a point and shoot. It's a zone focus job with no other user input. However the viewfinder is enormous and it has a very nice red shutter button :) I will probably sell it after finishing a roll of film as it has little of interest, TBH, and my camera shelf is getting full!
I really like the Minox, even though the focussing and aperture rings are a bit fiddly. I used to think my RX100 was a small camera until I got hold of this one. I am very keen to see how well the photos turn out.

The Agfa is very much a point and shoot. It's a zone focus job with no other user input. However the viewfinder is enormous and it has a very nice red shutter button :) I will probably sell it after finishing a roll of film as it has little of interest, TBH, and my camera shelf is getting full!
I really like the Minox, even though the focussing and aperture rings are a bit fiddly. I used to think my RX100 was a small camera until I got hold of this one. I am very keen to see how well the photos turn out.
Never underestimate the point and shoot paradigm - when done right, it can be a nice thing. It's very liberating if (and that may be a big "if") you can trust the camera. I really like shooting the Leica AF-C1 - no user interference possible except flash handling (it's on auto - you can have it "on" or "off" on a shot-to-shot basis) and choosing the focal length (40mm f/2.8 or 80mm f/5.6).

And yes, the Minox can feel fiddly, but I use zone focus with preset aperture most of the time - and it's extremely quick to use that way. The "x2" (+1 stop) sees some use, though - the Minox tends to underexpose just a tad (in order to prevent blowing the highlights on slide film, I recall), so the foreground in a backlit scene can lose colour and definition pretty quickly.

Apropos the Agfa again: What model do you have there?

M.

Never underestimate the point and shoot paradigm - when done right, it can be a nice thing. It's very liberating if (and that may be a big "if") you can trust the camera. I really like shooting the Leica AF-C1 - no user interference possible except flash handling (it's on auto - you can have it "on" or "off" on a shot-to-shot basis) and choosing the focal length (40mm f/2.8 or 80mm f/5.6).

And yes, the Minox can feel fiddly, but I use zone focus with preset aperture most of the time - and it's extremely quick to use that way. The "x2" (+1 stop) sees some use, though - the Minox tends to underexpose just a tad (in order to prevent blowing the highlights on slide film, I recall), so the foreground in a backlit scene can lose colour and definition pretty quickly.

Apropos the Agfa again: What model do you have there?

M.
Ooh, I don't have the x2 option on the 35EL...sounds like a useful addition. The Agfa is the Optima Sensor Electronic:
DSC00384.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ah, okay, didn't know you had the EL; slightly simplified, but still the same great lens.

The lens on the Agfa is a Tessar type lens - like the Minotar. And there's a real filter thread ... It's actually one of the late ones. Thanks for the image!

M.

Kenneth is doing a sterling job posting interesting links, but there doesn't seem to be much else happening. Is it just because it's summer, or are we all waiting to get rolls of film finished and developed? (I know I am!)
Matin, Thank you for you kind comment, but, why do I do this? is it an ego thing? I don't think so. Am I trying to curry favour? there again, I am not aware of that either. For those who get annoyed by this, I am sorry, but I guess if we don't know why we do something we keep on doing it. I have made a plan, to stop posting links for a while and focus on responding to comments that others post, see if I get withdrawal symptoms. Talking of which, July 13th, my AA Birthday, also Happy Bastille Day tomorrow to all French members.

I have made a plan, to stop posting links for a while and focus on responding to comments that others post, see if I get withdrawal symptoms.

I don't have a problem with you posting the links, but I believe we and the forum would benefit more if you made some introductory comment on the post, with your opinion or feeling and that would initiate a better discussion thread, instead of just the link feeling a bit alone :)

@kennethcooke I think many of the links you post are worthwhile, but why not collect them in a thread called "Kenneth's Finds" or similar? As it is, the forum is filling up with orphaned threads (never mind the posts per se - that's up to you entirely) just containing these links. I'm not sure that's what you intended, but it's not very helpful (for one, it's cluttering up listings and notifications) - whereas a developing thread with a clear purpose (or mission) might actually be welcomed because it would most probably prove entertaining and useful to browse. I know we've had such threads on other boards (even some of Amin's if I recall correctly) - they may be pet projects, but many of them have their followers, and I would argue they're perfectly legitimate; done like that, it's nothing but "sharing the love" ...

On a different note, I've had word today that my negatives have turned up; I'll go fetch them tomorrow. Time to get things rolling again, in a manner of speaking ...

M.

@kennethcooke I think many of the links you post are worthwhile, but why not collect them in a thread called "Kenneth's Finds" or similar? As it is, the forum is filling up with orphaned threads (never mind the posts per se - that's up to you entirely) just containing these links. I'm not sure that's what you intended, but it's not very helpful (for one, it's cluttering up listings and notifications) - whereas a developing thread with a clear purpose (or mission) might actually be welcomed because it would most probably prove entertaining and useful to browse. I know we've had such threads on other boards (even some of Amin's if I recall correctly) - they may be pet projects, but many of them have their followers, and I would argue they're perfectly legitimate; done like that, it's nothing but "sharing the love" ...

On a different note, I've had word today that my negatives have turned up; I'll go fetch them tomorrow. Time to get things rolling again, in a manner of speaking ...

M.
Thank you for that, and enjoy the dark, but don't forget to get some Vit D also, kind regards

Thank you for that, and enjoy the dark, but don't forget to get some Vit D also, kind regards
Thanks - but alas, it's not the darkroom that's waiting, it's the scanner. Wish I had the space for one ... but my school has one, and I'll learn how to use that for sure. For the time being, presenting shots on screen it is; plus developing b&w as soon as the equipment arrives (this fall). The vitamine thing will help anyway - it's getting tough on the eyes, sitting in front of the screen ...

M.

M.
I disagree. They are individual topics and potential conversations. The traffic being light is the major reason for the orphaned threads and lack of activity.

Ken - Perhaps add your own insight to the links you share? Give someone additional reason to want to click the link or engage in a conversation. Just my $.02 having administrated very active forums and facebook groups with 5+ digit memberships.

I've had a roll of B&W in my little Olympus 35RD for, I don't know how long. There's also a roll of Ektar in my Mamiya 645TL that needs to be finished (I loaded it up in anticipation for an event and didn't use it). My biggest problem is my normal scanning station in the basement has been dismantled for some home improvements that have ballooned out of control. It's been a bit hectic (and messy) around here. The amount of dust flying around my house right now is not terribly conducive to film development either. :(

DSC06682.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back