Is traffic on photo boards way down?

I guess I am following the trend. Currently I follow this forum and NikonGear. Other sites: nikonrumors, photorumors, but no longer fujirumors (The look-how-much-I-do-for-you sentences started to annoy me). No dpreview etc. Still don't know how to proceed with flickr, let alone facebook.
With this limited number I am hardly able to keep uptodate.

I check in here 3-4 times a day to see what's new. I may not comment or even 'like" or "agree" a lot but appreciate the knowledge, chit chat and compact comradery. I'd post more photos but they are pretty much drivel quality not to mention there's not much here to photograph even on a good day! Today's fodder included rain on pavement (unique to my locale) and something for WiiW if I get to post again.

It seems that I haven't been active here since November, so count me as "part of the problem". My main reason for participating on camera forums was to seek out information and to guage where I was against peers and how I could improve. When you hit diminishing returns in that area and don't have a strong desire to keep buying and discussing camera equipment the interest in forums fades even if the interest in photography doesn't. I think that I was also spoiled by the atmosphere that existed at mu-43.com between about 2010 and 2012 when you had a group of people exploring a new format of camera which at that early phase still had some limitations. There was a helpful but competitive atmosphere that kept you sharp and encouraged you to be creative and find ways to rise above technical limitations.

At the moment I'm mostly content to take new photos and process old ones that I never got around to at the time. If I have any gear interest at the moment it's mostly in grabbing an older camera and challenging myself to produce results with it as good as I would expect from something newer, bigger and better. And no one wants to talk about that!

At the moment I'm mostly content to take new photos and process old ones that I never got around to at the time. If I have any gear interest at the moment it's mostly in grabbing an older camera and challenging myself to produce results with it as good as I would expect from something newer, bigger and better. And no one wants to talk about that!
It's pretty much the same over here. Gear and IQ blurb frankly bores the living crap out of me; I'm happy with what I already have and spend my free time taking shots for my projects and cleaning up my messy archives.

I check in every day. But, my wood working hobby, weather, and physical limitations, have contributed to my waning photography activity. Maybe as summer comes around, that will change. I just don't have anything worthy to post at this time. Truthfully, it because of laziness! :sorry:

School has been taking up a lot of my time, but I'm going to make an effort to hop on here more. I got some pictures to process and older ones that need to be uploaded.

I don't think I've ever seen so many people get tired of gear talk. All the more reason to post more pictures! Any of you feel like participating in the current Salon Challenge? I'm hoping to enter a picture this weekend, come & join me!:drinks:

I know I was fairly inactive most of the winter, but winter is usually an off time for me. Maybe it's because we're all involved in presidential politics. :eek:

As for people being sick of gear talk, check out the vociferous yelling about the new Pen-F at mu-43.com. Olympus seems to have a knack for stirring up the naysayers, but that goes back to the film era. If you've been shooting Olympus for 30+ years, you've been hearing how much it sucks for at least that long by some of the other makers' devotees.

The new Pen is on my wish list, and I'd love a Nikon Df, the first full frame DSLR that has really caught my interest, but the Pen is (or will be) affordable, especially given that I already have lenses for it. The Nikon is out of range for now, and probably for some time to come. I'd rather get to Asia with my m43 gear than have to stay home because of what I spent on full frame. Priorities. A used RX1 is a possibility, though, even though I know it is a slippery slope.

But if we like our gear, it's time to post some pictures. I finally have after a long lull. (But it's also 60 degrees and sunny out, and that helps)

What's funny is that a new camera comes out and folks act like the performance or features are a personal attack. I like to talk about new stuff but it's just not a moral issue. There's no reason for the level of vitriol that arises. There's an amazing range of cameras out there right now and the best fit for any of us is probably pretty good. I like to hear about how people use their cameras because occasionally I learn something that helps me. I also enjoy the act of taking pictures so a nice camera is part of a pleasurable experience. The Pentax Q series produces good images in good light. I really like the way they handle, however. I find the control layout very intuitive and it's just big fun to slip it in your pocket and go hunting. The Olympus mu43 cameras are technically better and I am a dedicated user, but the act of making images with the Q has it's own challenges and rewards. I often find that artistic and technical constraints focus my skills in a way that frees up my creativity. I wonder if the perfect camera would actually be a burden.

What's funny is that a new camera comes out and folks act like the performance or features are a personal attack. I like to talk about new stuff but it's just not a moral issue. There's no reason for the level of vitriol that arises. There's an amazing range of cameras out there right now and the best fit for any of us is probably pretty good. I like to hear about how people use their cameras because occasionally I learn something that helps me. I also enjoy the act of taking pictures so a nice camera is part of a pleasurable experience. The Pentax Q series produces good images in good light. I really like the way they handle, however. I find the control layout very intuitive and it's just big fun to slip it in your pocket and go hunting. The Olympus mu43 cameras are technically better and I am a dedicated user, but the act of making images with the Q has it's own challenges and rewards. I often find that artistic and technical constraints focus my skills in a way that frees up my creativity. I wonder if the perfect camera would actually be a burden.

The "level of vitriol" is what gets to me. I have just decided to give up going to mu-43, because it seems to have been taken over by that sort of gear-head. There has to be a "better", a winner and loser. I find it coounter-productive and exhausting. I may stop by now and then and post on the dog and bird threads, which are wonderful. I don't know why, for instance, I can go to Amin's Leica forum and talk about my ancient lenses and get comments that take the lens for what it is and offer insights and information about it instead of damning it because it is not the latest $8000 piece of glass out of Solms. Most of the discussion here on PL is like that too. But mu-43 seems to have been taken over by DP review forum types -- at the very time that DP forums have gotten more civilized.

The bile being spilled over the new Pen F frankly disgusts me. It's a camera. I don't care if the 20MP panasonic has better video. I don't shoot video. The level of senseless competitiveness over at mu-43 has gotten out of hand. I used to enjoy the site, including the gear discussion, but it seems more and more to be a bully pulpit for --well -- bullies.

The "level of vitriol" is what gets to me. I have just decided to give up going to mu-43, because it seems to have been taken over by that sort of gear-head. There has to be a "better", a winner and loser. I find it coounter-productive and exhausting. I may stop by now and then and post on the dog and bird threads, which are wonderful. I don't know why, for instance, I can go to Amin's Leica forum and talk about my ancient lenses and get comments that take the lens for what it is and offer insights and information about it instead of damning it because it is not the latest $8000 piece of glass out of Solms. Most of the discussion here on PL is like that too. But mu-43 seems to have been taken over by DP review forum types -- at the very time that DP forums have gotten more civilized.

The bile being spilled over the new Pen F frankly disgusts me. It's a camera. I don't care if the 20MP panasonic has better video. I don't shoot video. The level of senseless competitiveness over at mu-43 has gotten out of hand. I used to enjoy the site, including the gear discussion, but it seems more and more to be a bully pulpit for --well -- bullies.

Well, Lawrence, we're glad you're here.

I have similar feelings, even if not so strong. I've selected the image threads as "to watch" or something like that and now I only select the watched threads on the menu to avoid all the gear talk.

Still, community there is still nice if you can go around that sort of discussions and there are a lot of members that I really appreciate. Here it is nicer, yes, and I believe this is related also with being a smaller community, hence less images to see on a regular basis.

Back