Fuji Is X-E1 AF speed on par with X10 ??

nianys

Veteran
I know that sounds a little silly. But from anyone having both, can you please tell me how they compare ? I've been shooting the X10 for two days in my horribly dim living room, and while not a speed demon by any means, it is totally acceptable. I can live with that. Obviously needing to work around the limitations, but have already managed that. SO if the X-E1 is comparable, I'm in.

I know that sounds a little silly. But from anyone having both, can you please tell me how they compare ? I've been shooting the X10 for two days in my horribly dim living room, and while not a speed demon by any means, it is totally acceptable. I can live with that. Obviously needing to work around the limitations, but have already managed that. SO if the X-E1 is comparable, I'm in.

THE x10 is faster, when comparing THE xe1 with 35mm.

The X-Pro and XE1 AF speed varies with lenses. I'd say the 35 in good light is about as good as the X10, but in low light it can really hunt and feels quite slow unless you give it a good bit of strong vertical contrast to lock onto. The 18mm is a good deal faster than the 35 and hunts a lot less in low light. I've never used the 60, but I understand its extremely slow, partially due to its macro function. My guess is that the newer lenses will be faster and that the next generation bodies will incorporate the same changes as the X100s and be a lot faster with newer lenses. A key question to me is whether the next gen bodies will make the current lenses fast or whether they'll be like the Pany 20 with the new m43 bodies, where the slow focussing lens is the bottleneck and never really gets much faster. And I really don't know, because PDAF is a different animal then anything m43 has tried yet and might speed up even a slower lens. Remains to be seen. But for now, the 18 is quick, the 35 isn't, and the 60 really isn't. I thought the zoom was supposed to be faster though and the report of it don't sound like that's the case.

-Ray

Um...

Don't forget there was a new firmware release last week. Not tried it myself yet.

Also, remember that the one thing even faster than AF is manual pre-focus ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

The XE1 with 18-55 @ 18 is probably slightly faster than or maybe about the same as the X10 in good light. The AF gets progressively slower as the lens gets zoomed in. In low light, the 18-55 hunts at all focal lengths.

Um...

Don't forget there was a new firmware release last week. Not tried it myself yet.

Also, remember that the one thing even faster than AF is manual pre-focus ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

indeed, MF in low light is what i mostly use. In good light the 35mm af is quite ok, esp with the FW update.
The 18-55 is prolly a little bit faster to focus in low light, but feels slower because it's only 3.2 or so at 35mm... (not 1.4 as the 35mm lens is)

Thx guys, pretty useful. I thought the update initially planned for last week was delayed because of a glitch ??
I think until I dab in the X series myself I'm gonna be itchy about it. As soon as I can locate a 35 for sale at a decent price I'll grab one, and a black body to go with it.

I'm hoping that the new AF system on the X20 and X100S will bring Fuji to at least equal footing with Oly/Pany. Now if m4/3 can match the Nikon 1 system's tracking CAF ...

Back