Fuji Is XC 16-50mm OIS worth buying?

mxlin

My first post here (am a regular on u4/3 and FM forums) - decided to give Fuji a try with mainly primes plus a "cheap" zoom just in case. It seems Fuji XC 16-50mm is going for less than $200 on a used market and reviews are mostly postive, but wondering if anyone can share some real world experiences and how it stacks up against XF 18-55mm? Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Since day one my X-M1 wears the XC 16-50mm. A really good general purpose lens (more than an entry-level) and I'm very satisfied so far. Having tried the XF 18-55 (undoubtedly a step over the XC) for a short while too, I would say they're almost on par in good light conditions (but I'm quite sure there's somebody out there that will not agree on this). However if I were you I would be more inclined to the XF than the XC given that it is your first lens (and, above all, you can choose which one)

my 0,01€ point of view

sorry if I'm not the best dude for showing you how good is this lens. that said here are some sample to look at:

View attachment 20411

I don't have either lens, however when I came close to buying an interchangeable lens Fuji it was the 16-50mm that held more interest for me because it is just that little bit wider. I've read good thing about this lens right here on the forum. I know Rico has used it quite a bit and written about it...perhaps with the X-A1 or the X-M1?

I don't have either lens, however when I came close to buying an interchangeable lens Fuji it was the 16-50mm that held more interest for me because it is just that little bit wider. I've read good thing about this lens right here on the forum. I know Rico has used it quite a bit and written about it...perhaps with the X-A1 or the X-M1?

BB, hi. The 16-50 comes in a kit with the X-A1 (and I would guess the X-M1 as well). Price for the X-A1 + 16-50mm is only $449 right now at Adorama. What a steal!

I had an XM1 on loan for a few weeks late last summer, with this lens. It's not a fast lens, so I wouldn't want it as an ONLY, but I thought it was plenty sharp and rendered nicely. And, at this point, it's the only Fuji that you can slam to 16mm and more or less forget about. Since that's one of my favorite focal lengths, that's a very nice thing. I'd think about buying one because of that, but since it's looking pretty inevitable that Fuji's next prime is gonna be a fast 16mm, I'll wait for that. It'll probably be pretty big and pretty expensive, but it'll also probably be pretty excellent. And since the 18 is only pretty good, the 16 could be my most used lens...

-Ray

That new fast zoom will most likely lack OIS, though. The fast prime will be 16mm now that Zeiss is fleeing from the X-Mount.

Very tempted by a couple of deals of the 16-50 pulled from new kits and selling very, very cheaply. I got the B&H X-Pro 1 kit with the 35 f1.4 and 27 f2.8, and the 35 will be on the camera most of the time, but I'll be travelling in late November and would like a good normal range zoom. My E-M5 is getting twitchy, flashing mode screens without stopping, and fixing it will cost more than the 16-50. Moreover, I only have a kit zoom for it (and a couple of primes.

But should I wait to get the 18-55? The 16-50 I'm looking at is $130 shipped and is located in the U.S. I prefer using primes, but do keep zooms on a lot when I travel.

So - decisions decisions. The E-M5 is smaller, faster, and more versatile, and I don't see glaring IQ differences between the systems at normal sizes and iso 1600 and under. I very happily use the Olympus up to 6400 in raw, and the in body stabilization has saved me more than once. But the Fuji is brand new, I'm ga-ga in love with the OVF, and that 35mm is a lovely and addictive lens. The travel kit would be bigger and heavier with the 16-50 and the 35mm along (and the X20 for backup), but not hugely so, and I'm not yet so decrepit that I can't manage it, especially as I use a wrist strap once I'm shooting.

This is old news to most Fuji X system shooters, but not to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked myself into it. The lens is not any slower than most kit lens, is optically stabilized, and even though a budget lens, has better optical performance than many other kit zooms. (And I've happily used Olympus kit zooms) For $133 shipped for a lens pulled from a brand new kit, it started to sound like a no brainer. So, with standard shipping, it should be here by the end of next week. Thanks for the discussion above, and the pictures. It helped me feel comfortable going forward. I've been looking at Ray's pictures for several years now, and if it's "plenty sharp" for him, that's good enough for me.

I've got its bigger brother, the XC 50-230, and (as has been said) in good light, there's nothing to complain about. It's incredibly capable, plenty sharp and contrasty, and it's small and light. The tiny price and the OIS are bonuses. And when the light dims, out come the primes...

i used it for a few shots and it's easily as good as any kit
DSCF9465.JPG
zoom lens under £350
DSCF9450.JPG

DSCF0720-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I haven't had a chance to shoot a lot with it since it arrived, but I have no complaints with what I've taken. I got it new from a kit for $133 - a steal, I think. I'll take it to Asia in November with absolutely no qualms about image quality - at least none I'll be able to blame on the lens.

Hello everyone. This is my first attempt to post something.
Regards.
This was a grab shot while passing by. Using X E1 and Fujinon XC 16-50.
I think this lens is very good for anyone. Its not too costly.

Attachments

• DSCF2922_D.jpg
    DSCF2922_D.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 156
Back