It rained again today

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
Here I am wondering whether to stay awake and see the new year in, so to pass the time I thought I'd post these grab shots taken during todays rain. Whenever it rains here now the water runs off the fields within minutes, the ground just can't take any more.

This is me walking up the tarmaced lane about 100 yards above my cottage.

1070836.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is the view back down the lane

1070838.jpg

Around the corner at the bottom and onto the main road this is a neighbours front gate.The tiny black triangle just off upper centre is the base of the wall of their cottage. At times this water spouting up from what should be an underground water drain has been waist high.

1070840.jpg

The view along the road shows some of the pebbles washed down from the lane where the tarmac has started to break up.We've cleared them off the road into the edge. Further along another flow of water off the fields is flowing down the lane through the East Farm barn conversions. One morning the water was cascading over the white wall just past the steps and handrail, as it also did over a retaining wall behind my cottage, thankfully about 20 yards away from where it might otherwise have threatened my back door.

1070841.jpg

By the standard of some other places it's only minor, but I'm getting mighty fed up of it all. Don't say it too loudly but the weather forecast has some dry weather, possibly for the next few days, hooray.

All shot handheld with a GH2 and 14mm lens @ f/4 in poor light. There's still an hour to go, oh well a rum and peppermint to wish the old year gone, happy new year everyone.

Barrie

Good luck Barrie,

Glad you have managed to stay dry when alas many others have not, even here in the Cotswolds we have had problems and not far from us drains have pumped out raw sewage into gardens and in some cases flooded homes - most rainfall for 100yrs is very true and very depressing.

I think we are all now very tired of it and the damage/displacement it has caused for many that will leave a legacy for years to come.

I just hope 2013 proves itself a better year and the Jet Stream moves to where it should be!

Despite all that, great images.

I just hope 2013 proves itself a better year and the Jet Stream moves to where it should be!

I'll say Amen to that.
Oddly, although I live to the South of Manchester ( a city noted for rain ) , we haven't been bothered by floods or some of the worst rain storms.
During our weekly drive down the M40 to London I see that the fields around Oxford are still waterlogged and have been for months.
I know that 2012 is the wettest year on record for England but I wonder if yesterday's rain added enough for a UK record.

Nice shots Grebeman , I hope your lot improves quickly - I really like the Welly Shot.

Thank you all for your comments. Lets indeed hope that the jet stream returns to a more normal behaviour. Apparently the western area of the Atlantic, where much of our weather is "born", has been warmer than normal. This was the same in the 1950's and I can recall as a child a run (perhaps 4) of poor summers with above average rainfall and, in those days with longer stemmed cereals, fields of flattened crops that were difficult to combine. The silt in suspension in that water gives it its colour. I can testify that when it dries out, as it has done on a paved and gravelled area on my land, that it is extremely sticky and virtually impervious to water. I have great sympathy for anyone who has had the misfortune to have the likes of that in their house.

Barrie

Back