Sony It's here, Sony a7R II

I don't know about The Simpsons, I haven't watched them since I was a kid. But Rick and Morty are quite funny and it is quite raunchy too though, more fart jokes than a beans afterparty, more ass jokes than a 9-year-old's standup intro, and more swearing than the most racist granny you can imagine. But I love it for the Sci-Fi, absurdity, hypocrisy and the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously at all ... it's an Adult Swim TV Show afterall.

(In case I made you curious)
I'm too old for that but thanks for the invite

Very very first impressions:
*Build quality: I like it, feels very nice.
*Ergonomics: my pinky is hanging off the grip so I need an L-Bracket to have more to hold on. I'm not the biggest fan of the middle AF/MF-AEL button or C3 they are not very comfy for AF-On usage.
*EVF: Not as big as the Pany G9, with my glasses I can't see the edges all that well.
*Battery: DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN they are tiny ... I mean, GOD DAMN, I'm surprised it could ever hold 290 pictures. I'm hoping because they are so small they will charge quick-er(ish) and I absolutely need a dual charger.
Congrats. That sensor is amazing. They do have generic versions of the base plate that bulges down on the grip side. The camera won’t sit flat but the plate works well otherwise.

Looking at those latest images, the Petri 135 seems to have a very distinct color rendition, to the level of being really a flaw, methinks. But that's a flaw that, say, a portrait photographer might use to his/her advantage.

A few more samples from testing "new" lenses:
DSC00361.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

First image made with Carl Zeiss Jena 70-200mm f 2.8-4 MC Macro JenaZoom II in Praktica B mount.

DSC00362.JPG

I was sceptical about this lens because online all I've seen is people saying it's a cheap Japanese clone of a good German lens with the name licensed.

DSC00364.JPG

In the viewfinder, I was seeing quite a bit of purple and green fringing.

DSC00371.JPG

But after editing I am noticing that most of it are very easily correctable with less cost on image quality.

DSC00369.JPG

And I am surprised how decent the sharpness is even wide open, at least in the centre.

DSC00370.JPG

And on the telephoto end as well.

DSC00404.JPG

Though getting focus right is not easy because the focus ring feels a bit skippy when you stop focusing.

DSC00406.JPG

The lens can have a bit of highlight bloom on bright subjects.

DSC00408.JPG

But I am loving the bokeh of the lens, very lovely at 200mm even for an f 4 lens.

DSC00410.JPG

At 70mm it does have a stronger character to it, with a swirl effect at the edges and quite a few cats eye effects on the bokeh balls.

DSC00414.JPG

I am finding this lens a lot more interesting and pretty than the previous Super Travenar 200mm f 3.5 in M42 mount.

DSC00417.JPG

The minimum focus distance at 70mm is not super impressive as it needs to stop down to f 4 to get clear image quality.

DSC00420.JPG

At 200mm for macro is a bit more impressive but it still needs stopping down to get the image quality to work.

DSC00422.JPG

200mm at f 4 has quite a bit of bloom and purple fringing.

DSC00423.JPG

200mm at f 5.6 has significantly less blooming and purple fringing.

DSC00424.JPG

200mm at f 8 is just as good as it could get.

Just arrived and despite my antidepressants and anti anxiety medication I am starting to get excited.
Right now it is my only camera I have and will probably have for the news few years. Bought it off MPB used and 5 extra batteries as they are only 20 £ each (on average) and even at half life they would give me about 150 pictures per battery.
View attachment 299721
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine, bought this past January. It's old in a modern new model every year world, but so am I, so it's a match, and I'm having quite a bit of fun with it. Have fun and good luck!

Back