It's nearly time for Single in January 2016 - expressions of interest here, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The iPhone is actually my alternative choice (not quite sure yet) since I did start an iPhone P(icture)AD(Ay) a few days ago. Let's see how long I can keep that up... I am inclining towards the LX100 for this one, since it has a better DR. Or the EM5 with 25 (in the original SIJ it was GH2 with 25, and I really liked using just that lens). Decisions, decisions.

The LX100 is marvelous - does very well in low light or daylight.

Pentax Q - now that'd be something. I've always been intrigued by that camera. Very well thought out - but coming from the Canon S95, the sensor simply won't appeal to me (meaning: 1/1.7" wasn't sufficient in some cases - how can something smaller?). But what I've seen from it is quite compelling ...

That said, I used an OM-D in 2015 - and it was a great choice. Hardly limiting ...

M.
The Pentax Q is a lovely little camera, especially with the 46 mm (equiv) f1.9 prime. It's fine in good light as long as you don't crop much. In low light, the best approach is to convert to B&W and go for a more artistic look. :D My biggest issue is that I really want to use this as an opportunity to get acquainted with my EM5 II since it's so extensively configurable and a month's usage would be a wise investment of time.

The iPhone is actually my alternative choice (not quite sure yet) since I did start an iPhone P(icture)AD(Ay) a few days ago. Let's see how long I can keep that up... I am inclining towards the LX100 for this one, since it has a better DR. Or the EM5 with 25 (in the original SIJ it was GH2 with 25, and I really liked using just that lens). Decisions, decisions.

You don't want me to be doing the SiJ with my iPhone. I got orthodontic braces in July to straighten some wayward teeth and I've been using my iPhone to capture the changes! On the other hand it would make this challenge easy ... ! :D

My biggest issue is that I really want to use this as an opportunity to get acquainted with my EM5 II since it's so extensively configurable and a month's usage would be a wise investment of time.
Fully agree - while I personally don't find Olympus cameras difficult to set up to my tastes anymore (I'm into my third one, and I pretty much know my preferences), it actually can feel daunting at first and require some research. The good thing is, once done, you can pretty much forget about diving into the menus - except for special shooting conditions and tasks, of course. The SiJ challenge is a fantastic opportunity to get intimate knowledge of a camera.

M.

Just got a D7200 plus a 300mm f4 PF VR a few months ago - I wanted the DX crop at 24mp's so that I could get over 600mm at f5.6 with VR for hand held shots

so I'll nominate D7200 + Nikon 300mm f4 E PF VR + TC14Ell = 300mm x 1.4 x 1.5 = 630mm at f5.6 with VR ....... an incredible light camera/lens combo) - in DSLR terms for long lens bird photography it is embarrassingly small

(Here's just an example of the above at ISO 7200 ........ you all know that my main interest is birds/wildlife)

Mallard_Male.jpg

Last edited:
So, at a rough count I think we are up to 11 so far. Let's see if we can get to 20+ Part of the enjoyment is peer support, particularly when you're struggling with the light and the weather, so the more the merrier.

One lesson I have learned in previous years is that encumbering oneself with a heavy, or more particularly, bulky camera is a bad idea. If you are going to go the distance your choice of camera and the exercise itself has to fit into your existing "ecology" or it won't happen. Equally, tying yourself down, as I did one year, to not just mono, but Ricoh HiBW for the month makes it harder. So does using it as an opportunity to master a brand new camera - you'll spend more time fiddling with the tool than capturing the images.

Keep it light, keep it simple, keep it fun.

Bill: I respectfully disagree about the new camera thing. Honestly, I for one tend to fiddle with new gear anyway, so I might just as well use it at the same time, as much as possible to get over the fiddling stage. A challenge actually helps with that in my experience. But of course, to each his own - and it's true that using new gear may actually cost you some shots or reduce the number of keepers. Actually, that happened to me when the D750 was still new to me - I just couldn't get the images I envisioned; the cure was to sort of dive in at the deep and and go for extensive photo walks with only the new camera and a small number of lenses. Something like the SiJ would have added considerably more purpose to that!

M.

Fully agree - while I personally don't find Olympus cameras difficult to set up to my tastes anymore (I'm into my third one, and I pretty much know my preferences), it actually can feel daunting at first and require some research. The good thing is, once done, you can pretty much forget about diving into the menus - except for special shooting conditions and tasks, of course. The SiJ challenge is a fantastic opportunity to get intimate knowledge of a camera.

M.
I've owned a ridiculous number of Pens (7) and OMDs (4) so I find the Panasonic menus confusing. My problem is finding a good combination of settings that I like (where to put the iso or MF button) and then remembering where everything is. I have currently simplified my EM5 II settings just so I can build up some muscle memory, and then I'll start to assign the other buttons. At least the ones I don't hit accidentally. :doh:

Bill: I respectfully disagree about the new camera thing. ...

Matt, I take your point and this is probably one of those "different strokes..." things. I can only speak from personal experience; I started the last SiJ with an X100S that I had acquired about a week before Christmas. I had barely fired it up let alone get familiar with it. I gave up partway through because I couldn't get a satisfactory image out of it to save my life and I felt like I was focussing all my attention on the "how" not the "what". This time I have an X100T which I have had for a few months and put hundreds of frames through. I have got the handling sorted, and I feel confident that I can carry it. pull it out, use it and get the shot. My only "twiddle" this time around is that I reserve the right to occasionally use the TCL-X100 teleconverter - that will be my "learning curve".

To be honest, I'm also going to use next year's SiJ as part of a wider "self improvement" programme - I'll set myself the personal challenge of only taking shots that I have had to work - or at least walk - for. Thus I am combining exercise with doing something I enjoy.

Matt, I take your point and this is probably one of those "different strokes..." things. I can only speak from personal experience; I started the last SiJ with an X100S that I had acquired about a week before Christmas. I had barely fired it up let alone get familiar with it. I gave up partway through because I couldn't get a satisfactory image out of it to save my life and I felt like I was focussing all my attention on the "how" not the "what". This time I have an X100T which I have had for a few months and put hundreds of frames through. I have got the handling sorted, and I feel confident that I can carry it. pull it out, use it and get the shot. My only "twiddle" this time around is that I reserve the right to occasionally use the TCL-X100 teleconverter - that will be my "learning curve".

To be honest, I'm also going to use next year's SiJ as part of a wider "self improvement" programme - I'll set myself the personal challenge of only taking shots that I have had to work - or at least walk - for. Thus I am combining exercise with doing something I enjoy.
Bill: I pretty much thought that there was a specific experience behind your statement - and I hope I made it clear enough that I wasn't having a go at you or anything, just trying to establish a different perspective. I fully respect your view and do see now how it came about.

As for your personal challenge, well, that's precisely what I ended up doing, and I discovered lots of worthwhile spots in my neighbourhood I hadn't been aware of in spite of having lived at the same place for the last sixteen years. That alone made it worth it!

M.

I've owned a ridiculous number of Pens (7) and OMDs (4) so I find the Panasonic menus confusing. My problem is finding a good combination of settings that I like (where to put the iso or MF button) and then remembering where everything is. I have currently simplified my EM5 II settings just so I can build up some muscle memory, and then I'll start to assign the other buttons. At least the ones I don't hit accidentally. :doh:
Ah, okay - so you're actually the Olympus expert I'll probably never become - I'm too easily distracted :D That said, I do find the E-M10 extremely satisfying in use, and in spite of the lack of a built-in EVF, the same goes for the E-PL7. I'm really looking forward to Olympus' releasing a PEN with an actual EVF, as they seem to have promised to do next year ... Oops, it appears I'm already planning ahead for the SiJ 2017 :p

M.

The Pentax Q is a lovely little camera, especially with the 46 mm (equiv) f1.9 prime. It's fine in good light as long as you don't crop much. In low light, the best approach is to convert to B&W and go for a more artistic look. :D My biggest issue is that I really want to use this as an opportunity to get acquainted with my EM5 II since it's so extensively configurable and a month's usage would be a wise investment of time.

I was going to order this (for $250, white version, new) and then I thought - wait - it's a tiny sensor AND removable lens, and if the tiniest speck of anything gets in there it could be a disaster. What do ya think?

I was going to order this (for $250, white version, new) and then I thought - wait - it's a tiny sensor AND removable lens, and if the tiniest speck of anything gets in there it could be a disaster. What do ya think?
Just be careful. There are also only so many lenses, essentially a normal zoom, telezoom, and the 46 equiv prime. Just stick to one lens most of the time and you're fine. Are you ready for the double Q kit?

Just be careful. There are also only so many lenses, essentially a normal zoom, telezoom, and the 46 equiv prime. Just stick to one lens most of the time and you're fine. Are you ready for the double Q kit?

I looked at the newer Q's and decided no - I'm only interested in the smallest original circa 2011, with the 46 mm equivalent Pentax prime. But I'm worried about dust etc., even though I would never remove the lens myself. I wonder if it comes already attached.

The original is nicely made. I haven't had any dust problems with mine. I've mostly kept the prime attached, but have occasionally switched to an old K mount macro with adapter. That old 50 macro was a 275 equiv. on the Q. :eek-54:

You don't want me to be doing the SiJ with my iPhone. I got orthodontic braces in July to straighten some wayward teeth and I've been using my iPhone to capture the changes! On the other hand it would make this challenge easy ... ! :D

Karen, I just know you'd find a way to come up with something interesting anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back