It's nearly time for Single in January 2016 - expressions of interest here, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar

Hall of Famer
Folks, I know you are all really, really busy just now dropping hints to your respective partners, families and general acquaintances about what photography related gifts you want them to slip under your Christmas tree BUT January is fast approaching and we have not once mentioned the 2016 Single in January challenge (or I have missed it, if so, humble apologies!).

Yes, I know it's hard work; and, Yes, I know we hate posting crap pictures that we have frantically scavanged for in the last remaining seconds before midnight; and, Yes, I know it makes us realise our insanity over our camera / lens choice. But it is a Photo Lounge tradition. It is our right of passage into the new photographic year (or some crap like that)!

So, who is up for it?

And, if we have enough takers, are Admin able to support us in this epic quest?

Could anyone enlighten me what this tradition is about?
I like traditions.

It's called "Single in January." The idea is to choose (prior to the start of the month) one camera and one lens with which to shoot and post one picture a day throughout the month of January. People are, of course, encouraged to comment on each other's photographs. We did it for the first time in January 2012, and then again last year. I believe the gallery for both challenges are still available to see. In 2012, we also put together a Blurb book which included two (2) photos from each of the participants.

It was a lot of fun and quite challenging. Personally, I was successful in shooting and posting a photo every day in 2012, but failed miserably last year.

Cheers,

Antonio

Last edited:
If Bill's in, we've got all the support we need - so we're good to go :)

I actually have two options: Olympus E-PL7 with Olympus 12mm f/2.0, or Nikon D750 with Nikon 35mm f/1.8 AF-S ED, shooting OOC JPEGs exclusively (I want to explore that combo and its potential for zero pp in a pinch). I'm more or less set on the first setup for three reasons: 1) I chose a 35mm equivalent last time, so I would run the risk of doing the same thing all over again if I used the Nikon 35mm. 2) I might well come to the conclusion that I can let go of the 12mm for good - it's sort of a last chance for the lens, which will turn into even more of a challenage. 3) At the moment, 35mm (or equivalent) is the widest I use on a regular basis - I want to know if that's only a phase or if it's a fact that really wide angles are not for me (which might make me question the justification of a couple of lenses and even cameras in my kit!).

I think you guys have seen enough of the D750 to know what this camera can do, so there's no need for an extensive demonstration, eh? ;)

I reckon I'll just stick with my first hunch and use the E-PL7 (a camera that's only held back by its lack of a built-in EVF) with the 12mm.

M.

I don't want to make false promises as I failed in this last year. I will have a crack but the camera I want to use is a film camera so posting daily is not on maybe one splurge at the end or one midway then at the end.
I'm also torn between the Olympus Trip and the Cosina C1 for the task. The Trip is easier to carry but I need practice with the Cosina which offers more flexibility so that is the likely option.

I'm in. Last year the Coolpix A worked great because it was easy to pocket. So of course I'm tempted to go with an OMD and zoom this year. Or the lonely Pentax Q. :LOL:

I'm in. Last year the Coolpix A worked great because it was easy to pocket. So of course I'm tempted to go with an OMD and zoom this year. Or the lonely Pentax Q. :LOL:
Pentax Q - now that'd be something. I've always been intrigued by that camera. Very well thought out - but coming from the Canon S95, the sensor simply won't appeal to me (meaning: 1/1.7" wasn't sufficient in some cases - how can something smaller?). But what I've seen from it is quite compelling ...

That said, I used an OM-D in 2015 - and it was a great choice. Hardly limiting ...

M.

The iPhone is actually my alternative choice (not quite sure yet) since I did start an iPhone P(icture)AD(Ay) a few days ago. Let's see how long I can keep that up... I am inclining towards the LX100 for this one, since it has a better DR. Or the EM5 with 25 (in the original SIJ it was GH2 with 25, and I really liked using just that lens). Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
I'm in! Last year was great and sometimes frustration (and an easy start because I traveled the first days of january).
I hardly shot the last 6 weeks, so this project comes very timely.

Equipment-wise I am doubtful between the XF 27mm lens and the 58mm Helios 44m. Fuji X-E1. Last year I used my only lens, the 18-55mm.
Portability and concentrating further on the focal length I really like ... versus ... explore the house and backyard (bokeh-)possibilities:cool: more useful after work in the evening when it's dark outside, but also being forced to push my limits concerning focal length and subjects, manual focus.
Hmm.. it's hard enough already to get the shot everyday. Does somebody have experience with this dilemma?

I also have been thinking about only black and white for a few months. Maybe I will start in January.

Actually I'm thinking Canon S95 with its (by today's standards) unacceptably small sensor and sooc jpeg. In theory I *should* be able to manipulate it better now than I did years ago due to my experience with upgraded gear. We'll see about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back