It's nearly time for Single in January 2016 - expressions of interest here, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't seem to settle on what gear I'm going to be using, anyone else feel like that?
Sort of ... I'm torn between my initial choice, the E-PL7 with Olympus 12mm, simply using the Ricoh GR, or actually exploring the Nikon D5500 I got at two thirds of its actual price at a Xmas sale - most probably with a fast prime. But to be honest, I think I'll get the most out of this challenge if I keep it at the outer bounderies of comfort - worked a treat in 2015, and taught me a lot! This'd mean the E-PL7 ...

M.

I'm in! I will use my Fujifilm X-E2 with 18-55mm lens — it's the only fully-functional camera/lens combo I have. (I also have an Olympus E-PL1, but I don't have any lenses for it.)

I'm going with a prime. The single FL is a creative constraint. I'm leaning toward the em5 II with the O25. I learned photography with that FL and it would be fun to see if I could repeat the experience.

I'm going with a prime. The single FL is a creative constraint. I'm leaning toward the em5 II with the O25. I learned photography with that FL and it would be fun to see if I could repeat the experience.
That lens is a gem - that's no constraint, that's tantamount to cheating :p

Seriously, fantastic choice - both camera and lens.

Just found out the D5500's autofocus acts up in incandescent light, at least with the 35mm DX lens (phase detect AF, that is - LV/contrast detect AF works); what a bugger. It's much better with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4, though, but that's a strange looking combo indeed - small body, huge hulk of a lens. (Short) telephoto would still be an option since both the 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 seem to work, but with no I.S. and no backup plan, I might not enjoy things as much as I want to. So the D5500 is out, and thus, down to two choice, but honestly, I begin to really settle on the E-PL7 with the Olympus 12mm, as initially intended. A bit wide, but plenty sharp and bright enough for most purposes. Reliable sensor I know how to handle. Looks sensible. Or does it?

M.

Last edited:
I grabbed a refurbished E-PL7 during the recent sale and it's a nice little Pen. The 3 axis IBIS is much better than the older two axis version on the E-pl5, especially with the "0 sec" anti shock. I used a Coolpix A last year with a 28 equivalent lens. It was much more fun than I thought it would be. The 12 should be a similar experience. You start to see things with that FL in mind when you use it all the time.

I grabbed a refurbished E-PL7 during the recent sale and it's a nice little Pen. The 3 axis IBIS is much better than the older two axis version on the E-pl5, especially with the "0 sec" anti shock. I used a Coolpix A last year with a 28 equivalent lens. It was much more fun than I thought it would be. The 12 should be a similar experience. You start to see things with that FL in mind when you use it all the time.
You're right. I'll probably do it anyway, though at the moment, I'm spoiled by choice. The E-M10 with the Olympus 25mm is begging, too; I did a few test shots again yesterday and was very, very pleased by what this lens can do on this body.

But a challenge is a challenge: Apart from taking interesting images, I really want to find out if the lens - and the body, to be honest - are desirable enough for me to keep around. With the E-PL7, I'm still pretty certain (after all, paired with the 17mm, it's my favourite street combo - even though the GR is the better package ...). The 12mm is what I'm doubtful about ...

What the **** - I'll stick with it. End of deliberation! :)

Line for copy&paste: MoonMind: Olympus E-PL7, Olympus 12mm

Which means that until the end of the year, I'll shoot with everything else :p

M.

I made my best photos when I shot with one focal length for a month.

Agreed; in fact it's the main reason I tentatively switched from my plan on using the LX100 to using the EM5 with PL 25. Setting limitations (as I did before: one focal length; only B&W; shooting 4 times 7 in one main color to create a collage) helps in getting the creative juices flowing with me.

I'm pretty sure I'll use the Oly 17 with either the E-M5 or maybe the E-M1.
Yes, that's what I'm currently thinking as well (having previously considered my old Canon S95). I keep reading about these Olympus jpeg colours which I've never experienced as I only shoot raw, so maybe jpeg's only for the challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back