It's nearly time for Single in January 2016 - expressions of interest here, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not decided which camera to use. Have been pondering a Panasonic LX5 that has been gathering dust in a shoe box or some other small sensor pocket camera that has also suffered neglect. I've used the GRD3 and GR on previous years and found the small size worked best for me.

Are we uploading the daily pics to the gallery again?

I'm in, last year I used a GX7 and the PL25. I have since sold my M4/3 gear except for the LX 100. I want to do more portraits so I am going to use a Nikon D700 and the Nikon 105mm f2.5 AI-s lens. I will have to try and press gang my work colleagues into having their portraits taken. If more than half of my photo's are portraits, I will be very happy.

Are we uploading the daily pics to the gallery again?
I'd say so - commenting directly in the gallery was a major feature of the last round, and it was a fantastic way of getting feedback without cluttering up the threads.

However, since we're thinking about doing daily threads, we might not actually need that opportunity ... But still, I'd appreciate it this way; the stuff that turns out worthwhile will go to Flickr as well in my case.

M.

I'd say so - commenting directly in the gallery was a major feature of the last round, and it was a fantastic way of getting feedback without cluttering up the threads.

However, since we're thinking about doing daily threads, we might not actually need that opportunity ... But still, I'd appreciate it this way; the stuff that turns out worthwhile will go to Flickr as well in my case.

M.
The way we did it back in 2012 is that photos were uploaded to an SIJ album in the gallery. There was a specific convention for identifying the shots, something like SIJ Day xx. There were also three threads: days 1 - 10, 11 - 20, and 21 - 31, for general discussion about the challenge. Comments on photos were written in the gallery.

This worked very well and I would suggest we replicate it for 2016. I do not recall how it was done last year, as I barely made it through the first few days of the challenge.

Cheers,

Antonio

The way we did it back in 2012 is that photos were uploaded to an SIJ album in the gallery. There was a specific convention for identifying the shots, something like SIJ Day xx. There were also three threads: days 1 - 10, 11 - 20, and 21 - 31, for general discussion about the challenge. Comments on photos were written in the gallery.

This worked very well and I would suggest we replicate it for 2016. I do not recall how it was done last year, as I barely made it through the first few days of the challenge.

Cheers,

Antonio
It was done exactly like this in 2015. I'm fine with three threads (instead of 31 ...) - especially if there aren't that many people participating. As far as working with the gallery is concerned, I'm all for it - it was great the way it was last time.

M.

Just a teaser, to get you in the mood.:th_salute:
AK Green and White.jpg

You're right. I remember a thread a day year but last year it all went to Gallery. We had a single(?) month long thread to talk about how it was going. The all-Gallery approach is a cleaner and you don't have to go looking for the right thread for that day. This helps if you shoot a every day but fall behind in posting.

I've sent Amin a request to make a SIJ 2016 gallery for y'all. I'm not participating, but noticed this thread. If you need anything else that a moderator can help provide, feel free to shoot me a pm since I may not be following along with everything.

I do intend to visit the gallery and comment as time permits, so I expect you all to keep the quality high.

Re. the name format thing. What we did before, and I suggest we do again, Is:

SIJ 16 Day NN [optional title]

You do NOT have to actually post every day (any film users would certainly struggle); you can post a few days at a time if that works easier for you, although from past experience if you want encouraging feedback on a regular basis it's best to be regular in turn with your uploads. This is a challenge, but it is also supposed to be fun - don't sweat it!

As Luke said above, on your marks, get ready...

Last edited:
Hey All,

I have no idea if I can do this or not. I live on Vancouver Island - I go to work in the dark I come home in the dark. That said this year due to an accumulation of vacation I am off till mid Jan except for occasional calls meetings etc. I'm pretty sure I can do a half month for sure and more - after mid Jan will get iffy many days but I am willing to play all I can if that is acceptable. XE1 55-200. Why not ever SIJ in which the J is June or July - just to give the northern hemisphere a break?

-Ed-

We've done a single in July before, and other daily pic challenges through the summer months Ed. Like you I only see dark skies during January during the working week. Lucky at the weekends if the sun comes out. Traditionally I never used my cameras much, if at all, at this time of the year. I won't lie to you, it is challenging but then I think that is the point. Enjoy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back