Sony It's Official: Sony RX1 is the World's First 35mm Format Digital Serious Compact

I can't believe that Amazon is DISCOUNTING it already.....and it's not even out yet!

List Price: $2,799.99
Price: $2,798.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $1.99 :eek:

Oh well, at this price might as well get a standby for my standby.

That $450 for the OVF strikes me as a bit gauche. But I guess if you get the whole she-bang, it only accounts for around %10 of the cost for the whole enchilada.

It looks like it is a straight up Zeiss VF and those have always been expensive. The 21mm VF was half the price of the lens!

I'm glad this camera is out there, as it opens up new options depending on one's needs. I'll be curious to see what it does in the real world.

I've felt a sort of eventual buyers remorse over more things Sony than I can remember, I feel no real brand loyalty in spite of the fact that they produce some of the most innovative products in the world. It's engineered obsolescence. It's what Sony seems to do best.

I've felt a sort of eventual buyers remorse over more things Sony than I can remember, I feel no real brand loyalty in spite of the fact that they produce some of the most innovative products in the world. It's engineered obsolescence. It's what Sony seems to do best.

Its not engineered obsolescence. It's continuous innovation. The only way a product cannot become obsolete is if the company that made it never releases a better model. Unlike many companies, Sony is a truly innovative company. It's not like the product you have will stop working the second they introduce a better one. Given the choice between stagnation and innovation, I choose innovation.

I have the Sony ecosystem. I'm typing on a Sony laptop, I have a NEX and I use a Sony P&S camera. I don't regret for a second buying any of those.

That's a lot of money to spend on a Sony. What do you think it will be worth in 24 months after they've upped the pixel count and added a faster lens?

Cameras are tech now. What's a 2 year old laptop worth? The days of film cameras not changing for decades are over. You could grab a '60s SLR and fundamentally, it took just as good pictures as a '80s SLR. With tech, that will never be true. I think of it as an opportunity. When the new model comes out the older one plummets in price. I'll sweep in then and pick it up.

Had a Sony trucolor surround sound projection tv for many years. Only just recently did it have problems, sadly no available parts. Have to say preferred it over the led tv we got to replace it. Still had that tv not been a gift back then there was no way we'd spend what we did. Thanks Aunt Charlotte, we miss you. Sony is a very innovative company, remember the Betamax? But you do pay for that innovation if you are first in line and if you are later in line then you get a discount for being a couple years behind the newest and greatest. Definite fact. Obsolescence is another thing, that means it was designed to fall apart, or that the engineers know that certain parts will only last so long but hey no one will keep their car past ten years right so why improve the parts, plus think of the repairmen that would be out of business. This is why I enjoy shooting with old film cameras even if I am dubious about the future of film. I don't feel the constant pressure to keep up with the Jones's that are more like Rockefellers considering the price of some of this stuff.

Fair enough, you're a fan. I too have a 15" Sony Vaio I paid $5,600 for about 14 years ago, it still runs but worth nothing, I also have an RX-100, great cam. Take the RX-1 at $2800.00 though, framing a shot at arms length because hey, no viewfinder right? Guess what... there WILL be on the next model. It's not like they didn't already have viewfinder technology, it's dumbed down from the get go. I already have regrets about this piece and I'm not even planning on getting one. One has to wait until v2 or 3 and in the meantime, they'll gladly snap up orders. Just my view

You definitely have a point to waiting Bruce, whether its for a firmware update or for an equipment modification via new model. Seems silly to dive into something new expecting magic to happen if the camera isn't what you want when you first purchase it. Resale value is a good point as well as far as high priced items go. If they hold value it seems more.. reasonable. You can at least recapture some of that value by selling and put that towards something else you want rather than having a goodly sized paperweight. :)

It is just so simple: you want a built-in viewfinder and the camera has none. Just don't buy it. If you felt fine with a camera without a viewfinder, because you don't need one, then you should not be bothered by a later model with a viewfinder. We know all the facts and we all know if this camera fulfills our needs.

I like that camera, but I prefer 50mm and I want a viewfinder and I don't want such an expensive camera with a fixed lens. Therefore, I won't buy it. But if that camera fulfilled my wants and needs, I would eventually buy it and use it until it finally falls apart.

im shocked they didnt have adapters for making it a 24 or 28, and a 50 at launch

24mm are enough pixels in order to crop. Just simulate a DX-mode by cropping, such that you end up with 12 MP images, you will have an image a normal lens would deliver on an APS-C sensor with 12 MP. That's still enough for large prints.

OUCH:

"At $599 for the optical viewfinder, $179 for the lens hood and $249 for the thumb grip the mark-up on these items appears to be rather excessive but it remains to be seen if future RX1 users prefer the original parts or will steer toward the cheaper far-eastern knock-offs that will no doubt appear on certain online-marketplaces. No price is available for the electronic viewfinder yet."

If these prices are accurate you almost buy and new X 100 for the price of the OVF, lens hood, and thumb grip? A new D800 is $2999. This if you got this with OVF, hood, and thumb grip it would cost approximately $3700. I still bet they sell a whole lot of them.

That said you do get a very good lens with it.

24mm are enough pixels in order to crop. Just simulate a DX-mode by cropping, such that you end up with 12 MP images, you will have an image a normal lens would deliver on an APS-C sensor with 12 MP. That's still enough for large prints.

That works for getting to a 50mm simulation, but it's tough to go wider by cropping! :cool:

-Ray

Back