Sony It's Official: Sony RX1 is the World's First 35mm Format Digital Serious Compact

I agree with Luke about the fixed lens. I also learned a lot using the X100 and as I look back at those photos I don't think anything was lost by working with a fixed lens camera. This camera is tempting but as others have said it is a bit steep. I would have to have better luck selling things than I have lately.

Armando, are you going to let a little thing like a wedding stand in your way? Of course you are.:D

this camera, and the fact i cannot afford it, makes me want to load up its film equivalent and go shoot
loading my Konica Hexar AF right now

This cam is about ultimate quality in the smallest possible package. Questions to be asked:

- does one need this level of quality?
- can one cope with a single 35 equiv?
- do want something that you are garanteed to take with you all the time?

When I look at my x1 shots, I realize that I was forced to be more creative because of the limitations. I felt that I was missing quality for low light shooting, missing crop potential because I couln't always get close enough, missing DOF control.

I never missed the evf, tilt screen I missed. A wider angle I missed at Somers times but not so often.

This cam ticks many boxes for me except for the amount of money... But I find it easier justifying 2700 for rx1 than 2200 for x2...

Now for resale value, the x1 could be found for 1500 second hand after a year, now for 1000 or slightly less now that the x2 is out.

In a year there Will be an rx2, Will you 'need' the upgrade?

Here are possible improvements:

- built in viewfinder
- retractable lens design
- slightly higher iq
- more creative in body stuff
- built in nd filter
- GPS
- wifi
- downloadable software from app store
- use iPhone as a picture viewer and remote

Do you need all that new stuff?
CAN you swallow the value loss?

The biggest improvement in my mind would be a collapsible 28-50mm lens.

Maybe it's just me, but . . . Those A99 shots were very good but nothing to really make me gasp at this being an FF sensor. If you'd told me it was APS-C I wouldn't have doubted you at all. I was more stunned by the Sigmas DP2 shots.

yeah, but to be fair those DP2 shots were mind boggling. Their vividness keeps me up at night. If you could ever get shots that looked like that with anything approaching decent working speed they'd sell a boatload. I wonder why they can't get over that hump.

yeah, but to be fair those DP2 shots were mind boggling. Their vividness keeps me up at night. If you could ever get shots that looked like that with anything approaching decent working speed they'd sell a boatload. I wonder why they can't get over that hump.

Well those shots aren't taken in beautiful settings, I wonder how they would have been taken with the merrill. Otoh lula review says that the merrill is méeium format quality so our expectations are probably put too high for the a99.

No camera fits all needs, the merill has poor high iso performance but top notch iq at low iso, the a99 is better at higher iso but not so sexy in overall iq.

I really want this camera, however the price is a real deterrent. Is it worth it, maybe, but you really have to believe that 4 more of these will be released in the next six months, heck you might see one or two at Photokina next week. I can wait six months. This is really an exciting time for photographers and it's only going to get better!

> Anyone here getting one?

No me. The RX1 package will cost about $4000. With the money, I'll get a few nice lenses for my GX1, and perhaps travel a bit to take more pictures. RX1 is nice and all, but that money can be better spent elsewhere now. In two years, Panasonic will have something as good and much cheaper and I get to use all the nice lenses I have. In the interim, I will have taken pictures that are impossible to take with the RX1 due to lens limitation.

Richard

After reflecting for some time, I've Canceled my preorder, the price is too steep for a fixed lens camera. Such prices are Leica territory. If the leica were 1500 I would have considered it also. At 2000 for the rx1 I would further consider it but for now I'm using my money to invest in macro stuff.

The new Fuji with a 35 equiv seems the better deal for me.

Like with my audio hobby, I no longer spend insane amount of money for a very small amount improvement, ESPECIALLY in the department of so called image quality. That kind of differences belong to scientific test labs, not the real world. In the real world, ergonomics, usability, durability and, some may call me crazy, aesthetics are more important. Now, RX1 certainly scores quite high on several of these factors. But I wouldn't kid myself that it will improve my images in any significant ways.

No question, I'd pass on this. XE1 and all 4 prime lenses? EM5 and a really nice collection of primes? I'm OK if you have the money to spend but I can't see me going there.

Back