Fuji It's official - the Fuji X10 is fixed 4x zoom with 2/3 sensor

So, if I have this right, its an XZ1 with a slightly larger sensor and a slightly slower lens??? And an OVF. I'm sure it'll be a strong competitor in that S95, LX5, XZ1, G12 neighborhood, but I don't see that it really brings much to the game that the others don't...

-Ray

So, if I have this right, its an XZ1 with a slightly larger sensor and a slightly slower lens??? And an OVF. I'm sure it'll be a strong competitor in that S95, LX5, XZ1, G12 neighborhood, but I don't see that it really brings much to the game that the others don't...

-Ray

The G12 and especially S95 are slow at telephoto, so the closest camera are the XZ1, EX1/TL500, and LX5. Compared to those, only the Fuji has a mechanically-linked zoom ring and optical viewfinder. The looks, construction, feel, and controls will also likely set it apart, and I wouldn't discount the possibility that the 2/3" sensor could be something special.

Thanks for distilling all this for me. I am not the fastest at getting down to the technical stuff re f/stop and zooms. The OVF is a big plus and if the files have great image quality with the faster speed of the lens...that is a big plus for me.

I just finished watching the Fuji Guys review. This is more what I was wishing for in a Fuji. I was not sad when I returned the F550EXR. It had things that just bugged the heck out of me and the X10 looks like it covers what I want as a G10 replacement and what I didn't like about the 550. Yes, my new to me D-Lux 4 arrives sometime this afternoon from B&H. My first foray into Leica. We'll see how we get along. The X10 will be my on deck choice if I don't keep the D-Lux. (I live 225 miles from any big city with a real camera store so the only cameras I can try around here are regular consumer level. No one ever carried the G10 or the 550. I just have to go by specs and reviews)

My big concern with the X10's OVF is centered around the availability of a set of "cross-hairs" or similar in the VF. I've seen finders in OVFs both with and without. Although I'm sure there will be some sort of auto focus acknowledgment - i.e. sound/light or both, not knowing what you are actually focusing on within a scene can be a serious problem. I suppose if the X10 is like the X100 when being used with the OVF then there won't be a problem.
'Just some ramblings around what appears to be a very interesting camera. Have a nice weekend.
. . . David

Back