I've Finally Reached "Zen" Of Gear Inner Peace!

RT Panther

All-Pro
After buying & selling a gazillion times,
I finally understand myself & what I like to do. :)

It's fairy simple and straightforward.

-Nikon Dƒ & primarily really old manual glass with some old AF glass
-Fuji X100 & teleconverter lenses for light walk-around kit.

The AW 1 is purely for summer water park fun!

I hope all of you reach your own "Zen" status. :)

Just wait, ripples of technological advancement have been spotted disturbing Zen like states...

Of course one can't escape technology!
I for sure at some point see myself with an X100T/U/V...or a Dƒ2/3...etc...

But...

My basic kit format concept I don't see changing..
I've been through Micro Four Thirds, NEX, Nikon 1, and 1 inch superzooms - none of these are my style.

So you see, I'll still be at "Zen"...:)

After buying & selling a gazillion times, I finally understand myself & what I like to do. :) It's fairy simple and straightforward.
-Nikon Dƒ & primarily really old manual glass with some old AF glass
-Fuji X100 & teleconverter lenses for light walk-around kit.

The AW 1 is purely for summer water park fun! I hope all of you reach your own "Zen" status. :)

What you have is as good as it gets. One thing I'd look for for the lightweight walkabouts is a small but high quality lightweight tripod, that packs small and has a good tight-fitting case that's really convenient for backpack-style carry, but much smaller than typical backpacks. I know the small X100 type cameras are supposed to be used ad-hoc, shoot-from-the-hip etc., but if you can find the perfect small tripod it would increase the possibilities.

What you have is as good as it gets. One thing I'd look for for the lightweight walkabouts is a small but high quality lightweight tripod, that packs small and has a good tight-fitting case that's really convenient for backpack-style carry, but much smaller than typical backpacks. I know the small X100 type cameras are supposed to be used ad-hoc, shoot-from-the-hip etc., but if you can find the perfect small tripod it would increase the possibilities.

I have never purchased a tripod...:D
But...I do own this ;)

15569618055_0b328c75cb_z.jpg
MeFOTO WalkAbout Monopod by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

I've actually reached gear Zen a couple of times in recent years. And it has kind of semi-stuck. I've made a few purchases based on real need and have sold off a much larger number of cameras. And now that I have the X100T, the only addition I imagine myself making down the road would be to upgrade my "truly pocketable" camera, the Fuji XF1, to something like the Sony RX100 III or Canon G7X. But there's no rush. And I might even sell off more cameras.

I don't think I've reached that Zen moment but I have reached a point where I haven't been tempted to upgrade from my current cameras. I think that as long as I get decent images I'll keep what I've got.

I have an older Lumix G3 that I use with a long zoom for wild life shots.
I have a Fuji X10 for informal walk around.
I have an X100 for more serious shooting but want to keep it simple.
My main set up is a Fuji X-E1.

None of these are the latest iterations but they do produce good pictures.

I think I'm with Lucille on this one. Photo gear is like dinner. It may be great right now, but you'll want another one tomorrow.

That's a pretty good description of it. I always sort of feel like I'm in a state of zen with my gear, but I change things too. It's very VERY rarely been out of any current DIS-satisfaction, but if something comes along that really raises the technological game in ways that I perceive will be useful to me, I'm usually open to it. I'm feeling pretty settled at the moment, also mostly around a Nikon Df based system. To the point that I'm selling my RX1 (again! - I regretted it the first time but that's because it was my only full frame option at the time, now it's just a really REALLY good compact options, but doesn't get me much the Df doesn't, other than size) and going with the Df, Coolpix A for street, and the Canon G7X for a tiny option on occasion. I really like the high res / high DR sensors in the Sony and Nikon models in addition to the high ISO sensor in the Df, so there's a chance I'll eventually add another body from Nikon or Sony with one of the 24mp sensors (that I'm giving up in the RX1, but now I've basically got the same lens as the RX1 with a Zeiss 35 for the Nikon), but I'm not even remotely in a hurry to do so and will wait for things to shake out on the Sony side to see what they're doing. I wouldn't hate having a good live view camera to use a lot of the same lenses that I use on the DSLR.

So I consider myself in a constantly shifting state of zen. I don't think that's a conflict.

-Ray

Back