I've Finally Reached "Zen" Of Gear Inner Peace!

I haven't quite reached it yet..... but I think I'm getting better or rather a bit more sensible. I always wanted the Leica M9 and finally gulped mightily and forked out for the M240. I have the Sony A7R as a back up and quite honestly, I use it probably a little bit more than the M. I'm trading in my XE-2 and a couple of lenses for the X100T as my "point & shoot", lightweight take anywhere camera. I just don't use the X-E2 at all so it's silly to have it sitting in the bag in the cupboard. The only question mark remains over the Sony RX1, love the camera and it's fixed lens but I don't use it very much. The EVF has a tiny lag when putting it to the eye which irritates the hell out of me so it's rarely my go to cam. Just can't really bear to part with it at the moment. I took a deep breathe and asked myself a couple of questions as the A7s and A7II arrived.... do I really need them? Would I use them? The answer is a resounding NO! and so I feel quite smug.... :dance4: somewhat like an alcoholic saying no to a drink!

I'm trying to find this Zen State myself..:) have slowly reduced my camera's to only 2 at the moment (Ricoh GR and Fuji X-E1 with only the kitlens), and am trying to convince myself that 2 cameras is all I need. The problem though is that I find myself looking on this site and visiting sites like photorumors etc more often during the day than I'd like my boss to know... But I really like to keep it minimal, so if and when I buy another camera (and I don't kid myself, I will at some point of course) it will likely be at the expense of the Fuji (cannot part with the GR at the moment, it just served me well again during a trip to Vienna). But it is kinda peaceful, zenlike, to know I could live with just two camera's...

I'm trying to find this Zen State myself..:) have slowly reduced my camera's to only 2 at the moment (Ricoh GR and Fuji X-E1 with only the kitlens), and am trying to convince myself that 2 cameras is all I need. The problem though is that I find myself looking on this site and visiting sites like photorumors etc more often during the day than I'd like my boss to know... But I really like to keep it minimal, so if and when I buy another camera (and I don't kid myself, I will at some point of course) it will likely be at the expense of the Fuji (cannot part with the GR at the moment, it just served me well again during a trip to Vienna). But it is kinda peaceful, zenlike, to know I could live with just two camera's...

You'll know when you reach "Zen" when you look at the new stuff, think some things are "cool", but you have no desire in your heart to even look or read in detail about them. :)

Honestly, it would be rather nice to find 'gear Zen'. For years, I shot with a string of compacts, all better than the others at 'something'. But back then, I only carried one camera at at time, and it was a joy. No need to think about what lenses to take, or what camera to use. I just made do with what I had.

After a while, the compacts became complementary, and I carried two or three at a time. It was at its worst when I went on an interstate flight, and the security check people got me to take out the four cameras I had in my bag!

Then I moved up to a Canon DSLR, later went full frame, and ended up with a coterie of big lenses that I still have. The 5D Mark II went everywhere with me, along with a couple of compacts. The gear was just too heavy to carry on a daily basis, and I really enjoyed RF shooting, so I bought a Leica M9. Glory days. It was my absolute favourite camera for quite some time, and I still love it.

But I wanted something smaller, something less expensive, something weatherproof, so I bought a Fuji X100, a Ricoh GXR, an Oly EM-5. Then I wanted better video and bought a GH3. All the while, I was shooting with the Ricoh GRD III alongside everything else, so when the GR came out, I jumped on it. Was this the answer to my 'sound of one camera shooting' koan?

Unfortunately, no. The range of previous cameras showed me that my desires exceeded the capabilities of a fixed lens wide angle camera. I'm not Daido Moriyama, I can't work with a single focal length all the time. So I bought the Panasonic LX7, and they traveled together with me in lieu of much larger, heavier, and more expensive gear.

Tax time came and I needed to spend some money, so the Panasonic GM1 came to stay. And suddenly I was back to three cameras in the bag, albeit much smaller and lighter than a Canon 5D Mark II, a Canon G10 and a Sigma DP1. GR handles high quality images. LX7 gives me some reach and flexibility. GM1 with a fast prime gives me acceptable portrait and excellent video capabilities.

Even now, I search for another camera that does 'it' in one package. I've passed on the Leica X 113, the Sony RX1 (thanks for all your help, Ray), and am giving a bit of thought to the Fuji X100T. It feels like it never ends. But I do still muse nostalgically about the days when I had just one camera on my belt or in a pocket, and was happy with just that.

Honestly, it would be rather nice to find 'gear Zen'. For years, I shot with a string of compacts, all better than the others at 'something'. But back then, I only carried one camera at at time, and it was a joy. No need to think about what lenses to take, or what camera to use. I just made do with what I had.

After a while, the compacts became complementary, and I carried two or three at a time. It was at its worst when I went on an interstate flight, and the security check people got me to take out the four cameras I had in my bag!

Then I moved up to a Canon DSLR, later went full frame, and ended up with a coterie of big lenses that I still have. The 5D Mark II went everywhere with me, along with a couple of compacts. The gear was just too heavy to carry on a daily basis, and I really enjoyed RF shooting, so I bought a Leica M9. Glory days. It was my absolute favourite camera for quite some time, and I still love it.

But I wanted something smaller, something less expensive, something weatherproof, so I bought a Fuji X100, a Ricoh GXR, an Oly EM-5. Then I wanted better video and bought a GH3. All the while, I was shooting with the Ricoh GRD III alongside everything else, so when the GR came out, I jumped on it. Was this the answer to my 'sound of one camera shooting' koan?

Unfortunately, no. The range of previous cameras showed me that my desires exceeded the capabilities of a fixed lens wide angle camera. I'm not Daido Moriyama, I can't work with a single focal length all the time. So I bought the Panasonic LX7, and they traveled together with me in lieu of much larger, heavier, and more expensive gear.

Tax time came and I needed to spend some money, so the Panasonic GM1 came to stay. And suddenly I was back to three cameras in the bag, albeit much smaller and lighter than a Canon 5D Mark II, a Canon G10 and a Sigma DP1. GR handles high quality images. LX7 gives me some reach and flexibility. GM1 with a fast prime gives me acceptable portrait and excellent video capabilities.

Even now, I search for another camera that does 'it' in one package. I've passed on the Leica X 113, the Sony RX1 (thanks for all your help, Ray), and am giving a bit of thought to the Fuji X100T. It feels like it never ends. But I do still muse nostalgically about the days when I had just one camera on my belt or in a pocket, and was happy with just that.

Phew!
My "adventures" were pretty much the same as yours LoL :D

First, I went through a myriad of DSLRs...(D40/D60/D3000/D5000/D5100)...
Then, I had MILC stage...(EPL1/EPL2/EPL5/NEX3/NEXF3/NIKON1J1)
And 1 superzoom (RX10)

Then I hit some solidarity when I got the X100 and my mind went back to my first days as a kid shooting film....
And the X100 was like "Ah...."....

Then I became bold and got the Dƒ and my mind said "this is it!!!!"
I then subsequently purchased a bunch of non-AI manual glass for my Dƒ and I was in heaven! :)

The manual similarities of the X100 to the Dƒ make my X100 (with the conversion lenses) the perfect walk-around/travel kit when I don't feel like bringing the Dƒ and gear :)

O
I haven't quite reached it yet..... but I think I'm getting better or rather a bit more sensible. I always wanted the Leica M9 and finally gulped mightily and forked out for the M240. I have the Sony A7R as a back up and quite honestly, I use it probably a little bit more than the M. I'm trading in my XE-2 and a couple of lenses for the X100T as my "point & shoot", lightweight take anywhere camera. I just don't use the X-E2 at all so it's silly to have it sitting in the bag in the cupboard. The only question mark remains over the Sony RX1, love the camera and it's fixed lens but I don't use it very much. The EVF has a tiny lag when putting it to the eye which irritates the hell out of me so it's rarely my go to cam. Just can't really bear to part with it at the moment. I took a deep breathe and asked myself a couple of questions as the A7s and A7II arrived.... do I really need them? Would I use them? The answer is a resounding NO! and so I feel quite smug.... :dance4: somewhat like an alcoholic saying no to a drink!

I say God bless and more power to anyone who can call a Sony A7R a back-up camera with the X100T the third-string "point-and-shoot." I may be envious, but never jealous. I say go for it and enjoy it! :clap2:

My 'zen moment' came twice with Pentax kits, but I finally tired of the endless cycles (partly induced by home-budget crises, partly by indecision and shiny new toy syndrome). I tried to pare back the kit but sold more than I expected. I did keep a few of the best classic primes and for now an NX300, three nx lenses plus PK adapter must do. And I must say it's a fine team; if this is suffering I can manage! (y)

Shiny New Toy syndrome can be insidious. I went several years using a string of different P&S cameras, each one "better" than the previous. Then I got a Sony NEX-5R, and bought, sold, and bought a slew of legacy lenses. Picked up a Pentax K-30 for weather sealing, and a Pentax Q for aerial photography. Sold the 5R and K-30, and now have a NEX-6 and OM-D E-M5. I do tend to wait until cameras have been on the market a while and dropped significantly in price. Got the NEX-6 and OM-D E-M5 for under $400 each. Great cameras. I think I'm pretty well set for lenses, although I'm currently saving for one really nice lens for the E-M5, possibly the Oly 12-40 Pro or a fast 25mm.

Tony

You know if I bought today. I would get the Sony A7 + 35mm F2.8 (wish it was an F2)

I love the speed and AF of M43 yet I love the rendering and low light of Fujifilm.

Sony seem to have both (yeah not exactly but enough for me)

I hope they also release an 85mm F1.8/F2 to keep the size down.

Back