Fuji I've pre-ordered the x100s because...

mayamocha

Name
Julia Malik
I have had the x10 for over a year and it essentially replaced my m43rds and DSLR. I was going to upgrade to the X20, but on seeing the specs for the X100s I decided to take the plunge as I wanted a larger sensor and a "prime" lens. I'd been looking for the right lens for my Pentax K-R to fill that roll but realized the X100s would fit my needs better. If you are getting the X100s, what were the major draws for you?

I've been wanting the X100 for some time now, but held off as I felt sure there would be an updated version announced. Sure enough, along comes the X100s, with its host of improvements. Of primary interest to me is the alleged improvement to AF and MF (that seems a little contradictory of me, I know) and the improved MFD at non-macro settings. I'm also keen to shoot with the new sensor and having a few extra MPs doesn't hurt either.

My reasons are probably not compelling enough to justify the price difference between the original and the S, but it feels like the right decision for me. Besides, if I were to get the X100 now, I just know I would spend my time wondering 'what if?'.

I have not preoredered mine... yet. It's tempting - but I do want to see some in-depth reviews first. Currently I am at the stage: "is it REALLY worth to pay that much more for x100s over x100...?". m.

Digital split image, proper MF and better AF does the trick for me. However, I won't get one until I'm sure all the potential quirks are dealt with, and the ACR-support is 110% functional.

I'm considering placing a preorder and wonder if anyone who has preordered other highly anticipated cameras (e.g, the OM-D E-M5) could give their recommendations as to which online seller to go with? I realise I'm late to the game, and as such would be down the list quite a ways. Alternatively, a local retailer has 7 units on order and only 1 person who has preordered, but the cost would be about $100 more than B&H/Amazon/etc. As a smaller shop I wonder how quickly their order will be filled.

Point of order... (pun intended) can someone explain why the verb to order seems to have recently acquired the superfluous prefix "pre-"? What's the actual difference between an "order" and a "preorder"? Surely if you order something, wait, and it arrives, that's all there is to it?

Genuinely confused...

Sent from another Galaxy

Point of order... (pun intended) can someone explain why the verb to order seems to have recently acquired the superfluous prefix "pre-"? What's the actual difference between an "order" and a "preorder"? Surely if you order something, wait, and it arrives, that's all there is to it?

Genuinely confused...

Sent from another Galaxy

Whether the term constitutes a proper use of the English language, the term "order," as applied to the camera world, usually means that one places an order for something in stock with the expectation that delivery will take place relatively quickly. This definition has been extended to include ordering something that has been on the market for a while, whether the item is actually in stock. "Pre-order" has come to mean that an order is placed for an item that has been announced recently and is not yet available for purchase in the market where the buyer lives. I suspect this definition has gained traction because online retailers themselves use the term: "This item is not yet available for purchase but can be pre-ordered." Or not. :p

Interesting, and I can see what you mean. However in my simple world, if you order a non-stock item, it is then "back-ordered". Your ordering transaction is identical, it is the supplier who has the more complex business flow for a stock vs a non-stock item.

Don't get me started on P2P business flows, lean or kaizen... :rolleyes:

Sent from another Galaxy

your local store that has open slots will likely get you the camera quicker since you've waited this long, but possibly only by a week or two. If I like the local camera store, I'd give them the business and not fret over the $100. If they are generally not useful, I'd (pre)order it online and pocket the dough and wait the extra length of time.

Alternately, you can pay around an extra $150 or so (actual price may be different...haven't looked lately) and buy one from Japan through eBay and you can have it your hands as early next week. Here's one for $1326 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujifilm-Fi...651714?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item1c30bb16c2 ....I'm tempted, but would rather have a more local transaction in case of any problems.

Back