Fuji Jamaica with the X100

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
Got back earlier today from a week in Jamaica. Mostly laying around the resort, so a few scenery shots and abstracts from there. And a few hours out and about seeing a bit of the real Jamaica. All jpeg. B&W conversions with Silver Efex. Not a lot of shooting overall, but enough to get a feel for the camera for sure.

I love this camera, glitches and all.

-Ray

View attachment 35364

View attachment 35365

View attachment 35366

View attachment 35367

View attachment 35368

View attachment 35369

View attachment 35370

View attachment 35371

View attachment 35372

View attachment 35373

More here:

Jamaica 2011 - X100 - a set on Flickr

-Ray

Nice shots, great colors. I like the B&W street scenes, but seems to be a tough crowd their, quite some body languages.

Whoa, tough gig being a Jamaican lifeguard!

What are the X100 files like to work with in PP?

I never actually saw anyone IN that lifeguard station!

The files were easy enough to work with given that they're JPEGS, so they don't have the latitude that a raw file does. The color shots had almost nothing done to them. The B&W conversions were very easy with Silver EFEX Pro, but there was a bit less latitude in the shadows and highlights. I'm looking forward to having raw support with this camera, but its not like shooting with it in jpeg mode is unpleasant! I probably tend to like the 'Velvia' film mode a little too much when I should just rely on PP for that over-saturated look when I want it.

-Ray

Nice shots, great colors. I like the B&W street scenes, but seems to be a tough crowd their, quite some body languages.

A white guy on the streets of Montego Bay (outside of the very limited tourist areas) stands out like a sore thumb. A white guy with a camera to his face stands out more. It would have been interesting to have shot with the Nex also to see if the reaction would have been different. Then again, a few of these were shot from the hip, so I doubt the Nex would have made much difference. Its all compounded by the level of poverty which assures that I had several would be tour guides leading/following me around at every moment trying to help show me the way (as justification for asking for tips). I never felt uncomfortable, but I was MUCH more conspicuous than I generally am when I'm out shooting on the street. And it shows in the photos. I think the shot of the young boy sitting on the rocks looking at the water is about the only subject who wasn't very aware of my presence. And maybe the Hitler cat, who just didn't care! :cool:

-Ray

Nice sheries ! Am I allowed to download a couple of shots and repost these after editing by myself?

You'd be more than welcome to Herman. I have downloading disabled from Flickr though, so let me know which one(s) and I'll try to post them in a gallery here so you can have a go...

-Ray

Jamaica by Ray

Thanks Ray, I have copied two images and edited in Picasa.

Here we go:

Reggae_Splash.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Beach.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Congrats on your X100 ! Which viewfinder you prefer, OVF or EVF?

Ray - thanks so much for all of these and for your descriptions, as well.

Have to say that first one knocks me out with its beauty, but it's the "Bad Dogs" one that is the home run for me. That is one heck of an image, Ray. Wow.

Welcome home - at least you're into serious spring now where you live!

Interesting photographs. They make me curious about Jamaica.

Have to say that the jpegs look great. Very good colour. Sharp lens.

Of course, sharp photographer...

Interesting photographs. They make me curious about Jamaica.

Have to say that the jpegs look great. Very good colour. Sharp lens.
VERY sharp lens, or combination of lens and sensor or whatever it is. I've never been a pixel peeper or IQ freak, but this camera is messing that up. I took my LX5 along also and I've always been VERY happy with the images out of the LX5. But the comparison is not kind to the LX5. And I actually NOTICE it now where in the past I never really did notice the relatively small differences in IQ between my different cameras. Probably designing the whole camera around one lens makes it possible to really dial it in, and I'd say Fuji did just that...

And you can credit Jamaica for the colors!

-Ray

Probably designing the whole camera around one lens makes it possible to really dial it in, and I'd say Fuji did just that...

I think you are right Ray. There are always compromises involved, but in this case there are fewer. It shows.

Oh Ray, don't make me want an X100 too. I've not paid for the Nex yet!!!!

Your photos are fantastic, the colours just sing! I just wish you had ventured out more from the comforts of the resort to get more street shots. I don't know, did you think you were on holiday??!! :rolleyes:

Thanks Briar. It was really one of the least photo-intensive vacations I could imagine. I was VERY comfortable street shooting in Europe, but I felt like SUCH an outsider in the populated parts of Jamaica that I don't think I'd have spent more time on it even if it had been convenient. Hard to be an observer when you're being so thoroughly observed! And, yeah, it was an incredible holiday/vacation. Something about an all-inclusive resort where you pay all of the damages up front and then never even THINK about money once you arrive - incredibly relaxing!

-Ray

Back