Jay-Z Files Lawsuit Against Photographer Jonathan Mannion for “Exploiting” His Likeness

In the linked article the statement from Mannion indicates that he is just selling prints, is it known if he is selling other stuff with the images? The California law being invoked seems to be more directed towards somebody's likeness being used on merchandise or in advertising.

In the linked article the statement from Mannion indicates that he is just selling prints, is it known if he is selling other stuff with the images? The California law being invoked seems to be more directed towards somebody's likeness being used on merchandise or in advertising.
He can sell prints in an editorial capacity since he owns the copyright. For example selling limited prints at an art gallery showing or in a photo book showcasing his work. He cannot sell the photos for commercial purposes, such as allowing Nike or Apple to use the images in an ad campaign. In that regards he would need a model release to do so.

He can sell prints in an editorial capacity since he owns the copyright. For example selling limited prints at an art gallery showing or in a photo book showcasing his work. He cannot sell the photos for commercial purposes, such as allowing Nike or Apple to use the images in an ad campaign. In that regards he would need a model release to do so.
That was my understanding of it but I'm not that familiar with the CA local law. From what I'm gathering if, using your example, Mannion sells a book of his work it should be fine but if the book was centered around Jay-Z then it seems like the CA law might kick in. It'd be interesting to find out what items the lawsuit specifies as being in violation.

That was my understanding of it but I'm not that familiar with the CA local law. From what I'm gathering if, using your example, Mannion sells a book of his work it should be fine but if the book was centered around Jay-Z then it seems like the CA law might kick in. It'd be interesting to find out what items the lawsuit specifies as being in violation.
Even if it was a book about Jay Z and the photos he took, it shouldn't be an issue. The only thing I could think of if he was licensing his images for commercial merchandise and/or endorsements of some kind.

It sounds to me like JayZ wanted a cut of the profits and didn't get it. And now that he resided in California he's trying to use California laws to file suit. It also sounds like Mannion knows his business, laws, contracts, usage rights. That's my 2 cents.

It sounds to me like JayZ wanted a cut of the profits and didn't get it. And now that he resided in California he's trying to use California laws to file suit. It also sounds like Mannion knows his business, laws, contracts, usage rights. That's my 2 cents.
Considering his body of work with many other celebrities, assisting under Richard Avedon and on top of that he apparently sued Coors brewing company in a suit that infringed on his work and successfully won, I'm guessing he's keenly aware of what he can and can't do with his images.

Back