Fuji Join the club...

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
I was mugged, officer, honest. It jumped out at me when I wasn't looking and suddenly my wallet was a bit lighter.

I went down to the South coast for the weekend with a bunch of old mates; we are all fifty this year so decided on a bit of a celebration. I arrived a bit early on the Friday, and went for a wander. I found mysele as if by magic standing ourside Castle Cameras and the siren call of the X10 in the window proved too strong to resist.

More follows...

What is it that you lot do that you just happen to have a spare hundreds of money at a moments notice? I must be in the wrong game.
Maybe you just don't pay the mortgage that month? (I did that once, I drank it all by accident then had to explain to the bank why I couldn't pay them. Oops.)

What is it that you lot do that you just happen to have a spare hundreds of money at a moments notice? I must be in the wrong game.
Maybe you just don't pay the mortgage that month? (I did that once, I drank it all by accident then had to explain to the bank why I couldn't pay them. Oops.)

I know just exactly how you feel, Heather. I went into hock for some of my cameras but have determined that wont be happening anymore and as a result have had nothing new since last November. I can look all I want but that's not going to produce the funds. I no longer have a mortgage, I own my house... but I'm living on a pension and once $$ is put aside for bills, car costs etc, I really don't have much to live on, and every new purchase these days comes from savings.

Heather that's a fair question. I do have a reasonably well-paid day job in a healthy market but like everybody else I cannot just throw money about. I regularly "bed and breakfast" my kit, trading something that I am bored with or have tried and not got on with for something else. I pop stuff up on eBay occasionally and build up a "fun fund" in Paypal. As it happened I had a lens ending on eBay on Sunday evening that I was confident would sell and give me some pocket money. I simply "spent ahead" ;) I tried it out at the weekend and I'll post a shot or two later.

Those colors in the first one are amazing Bill! So did your spending foreward work as in selling the lens you had up? I've tried that and generally don't gamble well so now I have to sell FIRST or go without.

I funded mine . . . . well, CHEAP.

I bought my X10 sight unseen from a local pro who loved it, except he was suffering from the 'RAW forever / small sensor' -itis: Camera, as new in the box with everything, Fuji adapter/shade, 3 batteries, and two chargers, $550. Fuji leather gadget bag, Amazon, $13 ! Open box specials from B+H on the EF42 and the Fuji 'never-ready' leather case. I DID pay full-ticket for the Hoya filters, so I guess you can't steal everything . . . . but, gee, do I hate it when I don't get a deal. So, anyway, I'm around $300 behind full price, so I'm tickled.

Now, just waith till I can steal and XS-1 !

All the Best,

Joey Wilson

I'm curious... can you take the front off the never-ready and use it as a half-case only? I have large hands and appreciate a half-case, but hate the flappiness of the never-ready.

Bill, I found my X10 case had arrived from B+H when I got home tonight. My first impressions:

It's Certainly Real Leather: I could smell it as I was opening the box. Very well made. Snug fit, very-well done stitching. There's cutaways in the front for the lens/viewfinder, and the back is cutout for the screen and all the buttons. It has two snap-straps so that the neckstrap (matching leather, embossed with FUJIFILM and X10, a bit longer than the strap that came with the camera) reaches through them. No tripod socket. Interestingly it comes with a flat rubber piece that runs the length of the floor beneath the camera bottom. I will have to drop it to change batteries and mem cards. Can't close it with the lenshood/adapter installed.

The top attaches via two snaps on the bottom of the body half: This way you can open the case to shoot, without removing the top entirely if you wish. This looks just like the camera cases in those 50's movies where the guy has a Leica or Retina and he's telling Anita Ekberg to 'back up just a little . . . NOW I've got you and the Eiffel Tower!'. There's concealed magnets that hold the top closed when you pull the top shut. Nice.

I dropped mine (!!!) when the strap slipped off my shoulder, and got a nick in the bottom plate. This would have prevented that. I always preferred to use the two-piece ever-ready cases on my old Electro 35's, Canonets, etc. It certainly is appropriate with Fuji's 'Old School' desing brief on the X's. I think it's even more necessary since all these digicams have that screen on the back. I'm tickled I got it on a deal price. So from now on I will certainly keep the bottom half on at all times, and the top when I put the camera away. It does make the camera a bit thicker in your hands, and I have big hands as well, so it's good that way.

I know there are several aftermarket equivalents out there, I've never seen any in the flesh, but I really wanted the Fuji case. So Bill, IF you are into the 'never-ready' cases, and the price is agreeable, I'm sure you'd like this one.

Luke, I always shop for deals. I've been VERY pleased with these two 'open box' markdown items I've gotten from B+H. The flash was 'as new' and even had the manual and warranty registration in the box. Same for the case. I WILL find an XS-1 for a great price. I'm very keen on having it as a long-lens companion for the X10. You can get GREAT deals on HS30's right now, and I think they're a great camera, but not an XS1-1.

I WILL have one.

All the Best,

Joey Wilson

OK, I just realized you're a Brit, so . . . .

Mate, you'll be chuffed with this bit of kit. The Perfect Bespoke Accessory for the Gentleman Amateur, whilst strolling at the seaside.

I forgot I speak American, and you speak English !!

All the Best,

Joey Wilson

Back