Fuji Joining the X family

Pim

Regular
Name
Pim
Hello to all,

Some of you may know me from the Mu43 and / or Serious Compacts sites... I have been an M43 user for a few years now, as well as a regular user of smaller compacts for light travel (currently a Nikon P7700). I have been looking at the Fuji X camera's for a while now and today decided to take the plunge; ordered a (black) X-E1 with the 35 mm lens. I will put my M43 stuff up for sale, but this in no way means I was unhappy with the system. It is a very capable system with some great lenses, but I guess I am a little old fashioned when it comes to photography and love the simplicity of the X approach, mainly the aperture ring on the lenses and the shutter speed dial. I will use the Fn button for ISO and that is all I need really, never been a great fan or user of scenes, art filters or (direct) video (buttons) anyway, so I will not miss that at all.

I will probably at some point get the 14 mm lens (it seems to be very sharp with little or no distortion, and I love the wide to ultra wide PoV, my Oly 9-18 is one of my most used lenses on the m43 camera) and maybe the 60 or the upcoming fast 56. It would be great if Fuji manages to come out with a good and fast 90mm (135 mm equivalent) as well soon, that is about as much reach as I need.

Looking forward to trying out the new X-E1 (it should arrive tomorrow), and will try to post some pictures soon. In the meantime I will enjoy browsing the forum and looking at the great pics you guys manage to get out of the Fuji's..:)

I currently own a Panasonic GX1, which is a fine camera of course, but as stated in my opening post I just miss the aperture ring and shutter dial, and I don't think these will ever appear on a M43 camera in the near future. This coupled with some other things like the viewfinder on the Fuji ( I hriefly tried the G5 with built in viewfinder but decided I did not care for the mini SLR feel) and the APS -C sensor ( I prefer the 3x2 format anyway) finally made me take the decision.

The XE1 experience is a slower, more deliberate approach to photography. It is quite an enjoyable camera to use. I hope you have a hoot of a time with it.

Thanks all for the nice welcome... ! The camera arrived an hour ago, charging right now. I ordered the grip as well and I have to say first impressions are very nice indeed. This feels like a very well engineered machine, the grip is just right for my hands (although I was pleasantly surprised by the feel without it actually). Buttons feel nice and positive, and the shutter speed and exposure compensation dials seems fine (I had read some comments that they could be a little stiffer but I think they are very decent indeed as far as resistance against accidental movement goes).

I could not wait for a full charge and played a little with it before putting the battery back in the charger...:) I like he viewfinder a lot, it just shows me the information I want actually (aperture, shutter speed, ISO and exp comp), and no other distracting icons etc... I wear glasses but find I can still see the entire frame. Focussing speed with the 35 seems OK for me (not lightning fast but more than adequate for my style of photography which is mainly landscape, architecture etc, non moving subjects in general). I did not check the firmware versions yet of course, so it might be even faster still if not yet equiped with the lastest versions.

I hope to take it out over the weekend for some real shots of course, but so far I am very happy with my decision to join the Fuji camp...:)

Some pictures of the camera:

Attachments

• P1000276.JPG
    P1000276.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 109
  • P1000275.JPG
    P1000275.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 92
  • P1000272.JPG
    P1000272.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 91
  • P1000278.JPG
    P1000278.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 82
Yes Pim, congrats on your XE1.

I agree with you on the simplicity of the XE. I am old school like you and think the Shutter speed, aperture dials are just the Bee's knees.
Just having a blast with mine, and hope you are also with your new XE1.

Dennis.

Nice setup Pim, I am still loving my X100 after 15months and if I can afford it, looking to upgrade tail end of the year - prob X100s but will see what XPro prices are doing.

Looking forward to seeing you images

Back