JPEG Processing Resources

olli

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
olli
This thread is a place to post links to resource materials for specific programmes used for JPEG processing.

If you use JPEG and know of good resources for the programme you use please post them here with an indication of the programme and version you are referring to.

There is a separate thread for resource suggestions for RAW processing.

To start with, any Adobe app with ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) works great, because it can treat JPEGs just like RAW files and allows you to perform nondestructive editing. This is great because it encourages you to play around with parameters (B&W conversions, color treatments, crops) while still preserving your JPEG digital 'negative'. Of course at any time you can save as a new JPEG incorporating your changes. RAW has other advantages, but ACR gives you some of the RAW capability with JPEGs.

As an added bonus, I believe all your edits (WB, crops, curves, NR, etc...) are saved in the metadata of the JPEG. I discovered this after migrating files to a new laptop, and finding all my ACR edits were preserved on the new machine. All I did was copy JPEG files over, I didn't transfer the software installation or library files or anything like that.

To start with, any Adobe app with ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) works great, because it can treat JPEGs just like RAW files and allows you to perform nondestructive editing. This is great because it encourages you to play around with parameters (B&W conversions, color treatments, crops) while still preserving your JPEG digital 'negative'. Of course at any time you can save as a new JPEG incorporating your changes. RAW has other advantages, but ACR gives you some of the RAW capability with JPEGs.

As an added bonus, I believe all your edits (WB, crops, curves, NR, etc...) are saved in the metadata of the JPEG. I discovered this after migrating files to a new laptop, and finding all my ACR edits were preserved on the new machine. All I did was copy JPEG files over, I didn't transfer the software installation or library files or anything like that.

+1.

With ACR you can handle the JPEG as if it's a RAW, you just have a bit less latitude - e.g. there's not a lot you can do if your camera's already fuzzed up the detail with NR.

And another resource you can use for HDR pix is Photomatix, which will joyfully stack multiple images shot at different EVs to give you a single HDR pic. This is available as a PS plugin or as a standalone program. I've used it for up to 9 bracketed frames with reasonable results.

Then there's Zerene Focus Stacker, which will combine a very large series of shots, in each of which a different region is sharp, to make a single sharp image. It was developed for photomicrography, but it works for macro as well. This here is a perspective shot of the top of a loaf of bread, assembled from 92 pictures.

I should add that I found Zerene a bit steep at $89 for what, for me, is just occasional fun, so I didn't buy it after the 30-day trial was up. I did buy Photomatix, though.

And of course there's the Gigapan, which is a rather different ballgame. The site currently features the SLR version but there are smaller versions for compacts.

I used to like On1 Effects quite a bit. I don't use them now since I invested more money into DXO PhotoLab, but the Effects module worked standalone with JPEGs if I remember right. DXO NIK is also good.

Back