Fuji JPG Shooters: what in-camera settings do you use?

The total number of JPEG setting combinations for a single RAW is several billions, I once calculated the exact number, you can find it somewhere in my book.

The reasonable approach is to ignore what others are saying. There is no consensus, so obviously, there aren't any general "best JPEG settings". If there were, Fuji should make them the factory settings and do away with all those billions of confusing, useless options (each being inferior to the "best" factory setting).

What you need to know is what each setting does, how it works and what it's good for. That's why I spent dozens of pages in my book describing and illustrating each JPEG parameter with practical examples. It's not about telling users what settings to use, it's about empowering users to be able to make their own informed choices. Once they have an understanding of how a setting works and how it will affect a given look, they can apply and change each setting on their own. They won't have to ask anybody, except for themselves: What do I want, and what settings do I have to change to get what I want?

Basically, learning JPEG settings is like a "RAW conversion for dummies" tutorial, as the internal RAW converter offers a simple, quick and structured way of developing a RAW file "to taste". Your taste, that is. Using external software like Lightroom/ACR, Aperture/ACR, Silkypix 5 or Capture One to process a RAW file, your options will again increase dramatically, now going into the trillions for each single pic.

It's futile to think about the limitless number of options you do not want, just focus on the one you have in mind and use the tools that are available to get there. This means that the very first thing you should know is how you want your pic to look like. This is important, you should have a clear image in your mind. It's hard to reach a goal that you can't see (aka visualize), you wouldn't know in which direction to turn.

So where can i get your book !!! first rule of advertising.. post the link!!

You can get it anywhere. ;) If Amin wants to post a Reflink to Amazon or something, I will happily put it in my signature. In any case, I am not here to advertise. :)

Back