Fuji July 23rd Fuji X Mount Firmware Updates

drewbot

Regular
Per DPReview (see Fujifilm updates X-Pro1 and X-E1 firmware for lens compatibility: Digital Photography Review), the X-Pro 1 and X-E1 will feature an updated AF algorithm which claims to increase AF speed.

Also, note that focus peak highlights will be implemented to the X-Pro1 and X-E1.

Good to see Fuji updating the operation of their cameras through firmware, and not simply refreshing hardware with that said software change.

Although I did get rid of my X-E1 recently, it's good to see progress for the X system. It will be interesting to see what the X-Pro 2 will have...

Cheers

I want to see how the firmware updates will perform.

I'm sure some Asian blog will feature side-by-side comparisons before it reaches the public.

Hopefully, Fuji Guys will have a good video showing the new stuff too - I really appreciate their stuff.

I'm sure some Asian blog will feature side-by-side comparisons before it reaches the public.

They would need two sets of cameras and lenses (each with old and new firmware) to gauge the actual differences.
Incidentally, I have already 4 bodies and 10 lenses allocated for just that endeavor. Then again, I'm not "some Asian blog".

From the June 25th update:

A ‘Focus Frame Selection’ option has been added to the ‘Fn’ (function) button.
This offers easier/quicker operation when setting the Focus Frame Selection using only your right hand.
A second ‘Fn’ button can be allocated.
This enables you to allocate a function to the selector “down” button. The default setting is ‘Focus Frame Selection’ but this can be changed to whatever suits your shooting style.

This. Is. Awesome.

That and the peaking coming on the July update and AF speed improvements is pretty huge for me. That's two of my biggest wishlist items for the X-E1!

A big thing indeed! Just performed the firmware upgrade and the Focus Frame Selection works perfectly. I am very happy. I would have "extremely very happy" when the minimum shutter speed setting implementation would have implemented as well. But ok, "very happy" will do for today!!

For now, I've decided to allocate the focus frame selection to the Fn button and ISO-selection to the selector_down. Q-menu works for others.

I'm very much looking forward to the focus peaking update - trying to focus an adapted macro lens at 1:1 and preset to f/11 is proving a bit of a challenge at the moment!

Nigel

Just installed the update myself. Really happy about the AF area selection, this just took away my single biggest ergonomics gripe about this camera :)

Now if I could *just* get auto-ISO minimum shutter speed and/or exposure comp in manual mode + Auto-ISO and I'd have hardly anything left to complain about, hahaha.

Why not allow all four directional buttons to be used as customizable function buttons???

They are used otherwise (macro, program shift). Only arrow down was free. I asked Fuji to turn that into Fn2 (and to include AF selection as an Fn option). Strangely, they did just that.

It's when you assign the function to the Fn (or selector_down) button.

Unless I'm missing something, DOF preview still works for me exactly as it did before the latest update ie a half press of the shutter button operates the preview.

Nigel

Hi Flysurfer,
Noticed you seem to be around here a bit and talk to Fuji. I had an idea for an enhancement the other day whilst out with my X-Pro and 18-55 that I rather like. What do you think?

When using the 18-55 on an X-Pro the OVF (without the hood) is actually very good. Only problem being that you have to long hold on the lever to change the OVF view as you zoom in/out. If the OVF would switch automatically at approx 33mm then this would be ideal. Give it a go and tell me what you think

It's when you assign the function to the Fn (or selector_down) button.

Ah, apologies, I was missing something, it looks like I need to get my eyes tested (again!). For the record, assigning the function to the selector down button seems to work for me (press once to activate, press again to de-activate).

Nigel

Back