LTM Jupiter 12

Leica Thread Mount (LTM) [aka: M39]

boojum

Top Veteran
I am becoming a Jupiter lens fan. I've got the Jupiter 12 35mm, Jupiter 8 50mm, Jupiter 9 85mm, and the Jupiter 11 135mm, all LTM's. They are all good lenses. They are all copies of the pre-WW II Zeiss Sonnars that the Russians got as war reparations along with other goodies. They have become popular again in cinematography for their muted tones. My experience is that while the contrast is lower, uncoated lenses for the most part, the colors are solid. Here is a photo of the Fierce Leader a fishing boat moored in Ilwaco, WA, today. Check the blue hull and the other colors. It is a sharp lens, too, but not so much as to make your eyes bleed. Pretty darned good for a 1951 lens that is a copy of a 1930's lens. All the Jupiters seem to play well with the Leica M9 which is what this photo was taken with.

Leica M9, Jupiter 12, 35mm f/2.8, f/11.0.

L1002115.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Yup, I love my 50mm f2 Jupiter 8 and that dreamy look it produces.
In 2020. I shot our whole April challenge with it and was quite happy with the results:

Yup, I love my 50mm f2 Jupiter 8 and that dreamy look it produces.
In 2020. I shot our whole April challenge with it and was quite happy with the results:

Hey, nice work. The old Soviet lenses work well in the right hands. I took the liberty to look at your Urban Sketches and you have a great command of line. Your work evokes memories of another French favorite of mine, Möbius. Was he Jean-Luc Girard? Something like that. A great artist and cartoonist, much missed.

Chapeau, mon ami, chapeau.

Last edited:
Back