Leica Jupiter-3 Plus Compared with Three Rare Sonnar lenses

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
I like the small size of the Jupiter-3 Plus over my larger Fast-50s. I have those as well. A number of people must agree, the first batch of the J-3+ has sold out. More on the way. All three of my Digital M's have Sonnar formula lenses on them right now.

Hap

Top Veteran
Jan 9, 2016
Yes...I was once recently tempted to purchase a used CV 50 1.5 Nokton. In the same price range used or perhaps a bit less expensive than a J3plus....but big . Alternatively, I thought a CZ post war Sonnar could be OK, but not a moderrn one, although modern are 200 bucks off at BH.

I think most people read the newspaper clippings and saw that the J3 plus getting love from all the right places. It could have been panned coming from Lomography and all , but didn't. Once the folks saw it was not the crapshoot buying a vintage lens from the Ukraine is, they got comfortable.

Hap

Top Veteran
Jan 9, 2016
Hi. Assume you are referring to your j3 plus....and not sonnar c or cv nokton.:)

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010

I used this thread to answer a question regarding color rendering of various lenses. Looking at the ZK 5cm F1.5 and the wartime Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5- there is a big difference in color rendered of the same scene. I just looked at the ZK: the rear triplet is not coated. This is true of may early KMZ Jupiter-3's: the rear triplet is uncoated, and is compatible with the pre-war Zeiss lenses.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
Check the rear group- is it coated?

I've seen most of the 1950~1953 KMZ J-3's with uncoated rear groups, like my ZK. the color rendition is different from my wartime Sonnar.

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
I checked the rear group. Very hard to tell.

The front element definitely has a light purple coating. I can't tell if the rear group is coated. There is a yellowish tinge on the rear element that I don't see on the front elements. There might be a little purple, but maybe a reflection from other elements.

The attached photos look somewhat different than by checking by eye.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
I probably have some pictures with you lens archived- I always shoot some test images. Front purple coating looks normal, I'll bet the rear is not coated.

Latest threads

Top Bottom