Leica Showcase Jupiter 8

'Thought I might start a thread to highlight the various versions of the Jupiter 8 a number of us have been experimenting with mounted up on Leica bodies. This was a "grab shot" of my wife and our younger son "iPhone-ing" after breakfast this morning. Leica M-E, Jupiter 8 50mm f2, processed in LR "Classic" and Tonality.
Please join in.
. . . David
Darlene and Dylan - "iPhones" (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
L1023143.jpg
I received the 1952 J-8, and the glass is perfect. After shooting these I adjusted the rear doublet using nylon tape used for pipe sealing to correct a slight front-focus. Not worth shimming, the correction was slight.

Jupiter lenses made before 1954 have German glass in them. I had one other German glass J-8 before in Contax/Kiev mount, but the front element had cleaning marks and I replaced it with a later element. It came out very good, I ended up mounting it in a Leica focus mount and selling it for $125. This one is in Leica/Fed mount, has perfect glass, and focus was very-very close to perfect on the Leica. All shots wide-open on the M8, no IR cut filter used.
L1023133.jpg

L1023142.jpg

L1023148.jpg

L1023147.jpg

L1023130.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up another Jupiter-8, also from 1952. This one is earlier than the one above, and the coating on the rear group is different. I believe this new one has Zeiss optics in it. Near perfect glass, the focus mount needed work. The lens would not focus to infinity. I ended up removing the stop screw to allow focus to move past infinity, drastically changed the shim form 0.75mm to about 1.5mm. That is a huge change. Re-indexed the focus scale, DOF scale, and aperture. This one is very good, one of the best I've owned. So- this one for the M9, one from above now on the M Monochrom. All Wide-Open on the M9.

I'm not finished with this 1952 J-8. I need to buy an LTM to M adapter and polish it down a bit to get the index at the 2-O'Clock position, then file the threads down for the RF follower of the camera to follow the new closer focus.

These are at ~0.65ft, "Guess Focus" with the M9. At F2.
L1000732.jpg
L1000744.jpg

Riego

Regular
Two days ago I received a Jupiter 8 from 1975 (export version) that I bought from Brian. He has done a great job. The aperture and focus rings are smooth but with the proper resistance. Clean and clear glass... I love it!

Some pictures with my Leica IIF and Ilford HP5 Plus

My Mom. At f/2.0 and one meter:

mf2.jpg

Rose at f/2.0
rf2.jpg

Rose at f/4:
rf4.jpg

Thanks Brian!!

Those look great. It's re-assuring to know that the focus is spot-on with the Leica IIF. My M9 is just back from Leica with a new sensor and fresh calibration. They've built to the same standard for a very long time.

Riego

Regular
Those look great. It's re-assuring to know that the focus is spot-on with the Leica IIF. My M9 is just back from Leica with a new sensor and fresh calibration. They've built to the same standard for a very long time.

Does a Jupiter adjusted for Leica should focus on either a Leica Screw Mount and an M or is there any difference?

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom