Leica Showcase Jupiter 8

That will require you to unscrew the barrel from the focus mount; remove retaining ring that the shims sit on- 1 screw. Be sure to Mark the orientation of the ring, I use an arrow. Unscrew the retaining ring, then take out the screw that links the aperture ring to the underlying mechanism. Remove the ring- see two set screws holding the name ring in place. Mark the positions, I scribe a mark in the barrel. Remove the two set screws- the namering unscrews. The front element comes out, as does a spacer and the middle triplet. "Done"

Many thanks, Brian - super helpful!

Last year I bought a lens from Russia and it took almost 6 months to arrive. Now in light of the current conflict, is not the time to be buying from Russian or Ukrainian sellers. It will be a crap game.

I will reserve my opinions on what is going on there and what the USA is doing for a different forum. I believe it is mass insanity.

Last year I bought a lens from Russia and it took almost 6 months to arrive. Now in light of the current conflict, is not the time to be buying from Russian or Ukrainian sellers. It will be a crap game.

I will reserve my opinions on what is going on there and what the USA is doing for a different forum. I believe it is mass insanity.
The J12 out of Ukraine took about a month and a half. It was a crapshoot. But if not delivered I got a refund so I felt OK even though I wanted the lens more than the money. This is the second lens I have bought from this fellow. Both of them are good lenses. The other is a '57 J8 with very nice color and definition, sharper than what I expected, when I focus it right. ;o)

F2D31EF5-435B-4418-8B02-B2EF00DEDEEF.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I’m really becoming quite impressed with the quality of this little lens.
View attachment 410046
View attachment 410048

I am guessing that you are shooting the J8 not the Summicron. Yes, it is a great lens. A "Best Buy" in the lens world. You have to shop for an early one and from a guy with a good track record and if you do that you will be pleasantly surprised. The CZJ factory was a good war prize for the Russians and the early Jupiters are very good. Later ones can be, too. As you have shown.

I am guessing that you are shooting the J8 not the Summicron. Yes, it is a great lens. A "Best Buy" in the lens world. You have to shop for an early one and from a guy with a good track record and if you do that you will be pleasantly surprised. The CZJ factory was a good war prize for the Russians and the early Jupiters are very good. Later ones can be, too. As you have shown.
Yes, it’s the Jupiter 8, from 1973…I have mine “coded” as the Summicron, as it’s the closest match. I had used it time and time again on adapter to m4/3, and was never impressed. Maybe something with the adapter or sensor stack, who knows. I only kept it for my Zorki, but now I’m glad I didn’t part with it. On the M10 it just shines. At 5.6 it’s as sharp as anything else out there.

Last edited:
Yes, it’s the Jupiter 8, from 1973…I have mine “coded” as the Summicron, as it’s the closest match. I had used it time and time again on adapter to m4/3, and was never impressed. Maybe something with the adapter or sensor stack, who knows. I only kept it for my Zorki, but now I’m glad I didn’t part with it. On the M10 it just shines. At 5.6 it’s as sharp as anything else out there.

I shoot mine on an M9 and it shines. The Sonnars and their derivatives do really well on this body and on the M10, too, it seems.

delete

j8_grass1_f2.jpg
j8_new_close_f2.jpg
j8_old_close_f2.jpg
j8_on_m9.jpg

I modified this one for 0.65m RF coupled focus. You intentionally misassemble the Helical so that the near/far stops are exchanged. Them re-index all the scales, and file down the threads for the RF Follower. I sold this one to someone that used it more than it would get with me. I built another black J-8 from parts, might convert it.

I'll probably modify the J-8 early next year- and will document the process. This one-off was done trial and error on the fly, required some longer set screws to hold the focus ring on after re-indexing it.

You and others know I really like a '57 KMZ J8 I have. I do not know what happened in the KMZ factory with this one but it has great color and great definition. It has that Sonnar gift of 3D imaging and does it gracefully. In my small collection of lenses this one stands out against other 50's and as much as I love the others this one tugs at my sleeve and asks always, "Hey, do you remember me?"

Here it is on the Pixii when it was an A1571. Yes, the white balance is off so please disregard that

And on an M9

In a quiet church with good light

A local Coast Guard cutter moored between missions. We are a Coast Guard town.

And this night shot at the fish processing plant where this lens and camera combo (M9 + J8) really shines.

Last edited:
You and others know I really like a '57 KMZ J8 I have. I do not know what happened in the KMZ factory with this one but it has great color and great definition. It has that Sonnar gift of 3D imaging and does it gracefully. In my small collection of lenses this one stands out against other 50's and as much as I love the others this one tugs at my sleeve and asks always, "Hey, do you remember me?"
1957 was a great year for me. Don't remember too much, but before that- absolutely nothing.
I'll have to pull out the very special 1957 J-8 that I have, one converted from Contax mount- predecessor to the J8M.

Back