Manual Lens Jupiter-8

Coksic

All-Pro
Name
Mladen Čoko
Cheap vintage lens in m39 mount. It's a 50mm f2 lens.There are several versions/generations of this lens. It has a Zeiss Sonnar optical formula, reverse-engineered in the Soviet Union as part of the war reparations. Lovely lens, easy to use, with 12 aperture blades. I modified my copy to focus from 60cm. Originally, it had a whole 1 meter mfd!! Not very useful for nature and close-ups! I highly recommend this lens, especially for the price!

00009071.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

00009122.jpg

00009120.jpg

00009429.jpg

00009487_2.jpg

00000297.jpg

00000372v.jpg

00000522-Pano.jpg

00005069.jpg

00005090-2.jpg

00006421k.jpg

00006563.jpg

00002397-3.jpg

00002406.jpg

00002470-Pano.jpg

00004250-2.jpg

00007735-Pano-Edit-2.jpg

00008114-Pano-Edit.jpg

00008287-Edit-2.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, a lovely lens with special character, I had nice results with my copy. Although I didn't like its minimum focus distance, limiting close up possibilities. I shot the whole last year's April challenge with it and it was surely worth it.

Yup, a lovely lens with special character, I had nice results with my copy. Although I didn't like its minimum focus distance, limiting close up possibilities. I shot the whole last year's April challenge with it and it was surely worth it.
Modifying this last version (black) is simple. It changes the character of the lens entirely (at least for close ups). I don't think I'd be using this lens half as much, without this mod.

Last edited:
I sold my copy because of that MFD. I'd be very interested to hear how you changed it.

I used instructions from this page! I also have a silver version (older model), but, I couldn't do anything. For the black ones, it is easy!

I used instructions from this page! I also have a silver version (older model), but, I couldn't do anything. For the black ones, it is easy!
Nice pictures!
I've done a close focus mod on a couple silver Jupiter 8 lenses from the early 60s, type 3 or 4 (They are the same inside.) from Kim Coxon's pentax page on the Jupiter 8 lenses. The mod involves filing down some of the ring that the guide pin hits as it moves out from the camera at close focus. I've done this with two of these Jupiter 8 lenses. One focuses to 24 in, the other to 25 in.

It is important to not file too much away. If you file 120 degrees from where the pin first hits the ring, then the guide pin comes out of the slot at closest focus, sometimes getting stuck at closest focus. So, do less than 120 degrees.

See my picture of this at

https://rangefinderforum.com/threads/close-focus-mod-for-1964-jupiter-8.4816091/

Mark W

Thanks, Mark! I cannibalized the silver version optics group to combine it with the modded black one. It's a bit of a Frankenstein of a lens. Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum.

Back