Leica Jupiter 85mm repair

Matt Mullins

Hi,
This is a question for my Jupiter 85mm. Currently it wont focus on a Leica M240 at F2. By F4 its about right on the rangefinder.

I hope this is the correct forum for this post?
Thank you
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
The Jupiter-9 is difficult to make work properly with the rangefinder of the Leica. The J-9 is built to the Zeiss standard, as are all of the Jupiters. The DOF of the J-9 used wide-open covers less of the error.

My "trick" is to reduce the focal length by moving the rear triplet in closer to the front group. After that- reduce the main shim to compensate. The later Black lenses have a secondary shim that can be removed to screw the rear element in closer. The earlier lenses require that the barrel be ground down. Usually the agreement used wide-open can be made better, about 1.5m to 20m.

As you have an M240: I would use Liveview with the J-9. This will allow accurate focus across the whole range.

Which version of J-9 do you have?

I will send you a "private message".

Hi Brian,
Thank you, good to be here.
I have the earlier chrome version. I believe it was made in 1967. My main interest is to shoot the lens wide open and preferably with the range finder. I don't really enjoy shooting with live view so would prefer to have sharp pictures wide open and range finder focussed. If this means losing focus with the lower aperture numbers it wouldn't really be an issue for how I'd shoot an 85mm lens.
Your reputation proceeds you (always wanted to say that) so your advice is well received. Is Kim still actively repairing lenses? I don't want to trouble him if not. If he is not keen to fix the lens would you be willing to fix the lens so it's sharp wide open? So no grinding down required?
Thank you
Matt

Kim still has his site at PENTAX MANUALS, and has a "contact" button on it. He is known for his J-9 work.

I'll take on "best effort" type work for Leicaplace members. There are some gotcha's with Leica rangefinders- to get a fast tele-photo lens "spot-on" it is often necessary to set it using the camera that it will be used with. My M9 agrees with several M240's of Leicaplace members and with many (over 30) other M9's; my M Monochrom agrees with at least 6 other M Monochroms. But- my M9 and M Monochrom "slightly disagree" on setting the shim on a Sonnar 5cm F1.5.

Hi Brian,
Kim's not getting back. Maybe he's on holiday. Would you have a crack at getting focus at f2? If you break the lens during your attempt it's all on me. The lens wasn't expensive.
Cheers
Matt

I'll give it a shot... Sending a Private Message.

I need an example shot to show how far the focus is on your camera. Shoot a picture of a ruler, wide-open, at your most preferred working distance. Also shoot one at Infinity. That will give me a good idea of how close my M9 or M Monochrom is to your camera. Post the shots here so I can have a look. We'll make this thread into a J-9 adjustment discussion.

Hi Brian,
I appreciate you taking on the conversion.
I take it you'll need to know my preferred distance in order to try and compare on your m9? If so where do I measure from? The approximate position of the sensor?
Thank you
Matt

Set a ruler up, set up a pencil or something to intercept the ruler for focus with the RF, then post the pictures. I would suggest 1.5m distance to focus the RF. I'll be able to see how far off the actual focus is from what the RF indicates.

I use my Fence Post most of the time, but have the distance "memorized". I use the spot where the post meets the slats.

16004802231_4d083b0087_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Sonnar 5cm f1.5, uncoated by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

L1004525_DNG_shotwell.jpg

The pencil is in focus on the rangefinder. This is from 1.5 metres approximatly dead on f2. There is a tiny bit of play so technically I could focus slightly more open than F2.

About what I expect, I will see which of my cameras is closest to yours once the lens comes in. Please include the LTM to M adapter that you used. Slight deviations in thickness make a differnece for wide angle and telephoto lenses.

Thats good to hear Brian. The lens is in great shape, so it's great that it's potentially salvagable focus-wise. I will send it over this week.
Thank you
Matt

Back