Leica Jupiter-8M 50/2 adapted to Leica Mount using Canon 50/1.8 mount

Brian

Product of the Fifties
Picked this up from Ebay, figured the Canon 50/1.8 mount was worth the price alone. (I'm not telling!) The seller tested it on a Sony A7, turns out the seller also did the conversion.

This person did an incredible job, I've asked about other services available. I'm hoping to find someone that takes care of Jupiters that I can refer people to.

This lens is Shiny!

37885050664_7761aa273e_b.jpg
Jupiter-8M in Canon Mount
by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Focus is smooth, and- the click stops are left in place. The optics rotate with the focus ring- meaning the very clever person removed part of the mechanism and came up with a way of setting the shim. Genious!

37885051084_96822c33d1_b.jpg
Jupiter-8M in Canon Mount

Focus is perfect on my M9, across range.

At F2,

37714033135_86a4b476fe_b.jpg
Jupiter-8M, Wide-Open

38545122506_35d1edb648_b.jpg
Jupiter-8M, Wide-Open

likanyc on eBay

The maker and seller of this lens let me know they have enough parts and will be making 2 more within the next few days. Anyone interested might send them a message on Ebay.

I've not had a chance to do much shooting lately- slid on ice last weekend, went down some steps of the Deck. Nothing broken- just very bruised up. Hopefully will feel better next week. Been spending a lot of time working in front of the computer, will have time off next week.

Picked this up from Ebay, figured the Canon 50/1.8 mount was worth the price alone. (I'm not telling!) The seller tested it on a Sony A7, turns out the seller also did the conversion.

This person did an incredible job, I've asked about other services available. I'm hoping to find someone that takes care of Jupiters that I can refer people to.

This lens is Shiny!

View attachment 15688Jupiter-8M in Canon Mount by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Focus is smooth, and- the click stops are left in place. The optics rotate with the focus ring- meaning the very clever person removed part of the mechanism and came up with a way of setting the shim. Genious!

View attachment 15689Jupiter-8M in Canon Mount by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Focus is perfect on my M9, across range.

At F2,

View attachment 15690Jupiter-8M, Wide-Open by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

View attachment 15691Jupiter-8M, Wide-Open by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

What is special about a J-8M?

It's a different formula than the J-8, larger diameter glass.

And it has click stops with a linear aperture, even spacing between stops.

So, a Sonnar, Different formulation, collect them all....

Last edited:
"I Like it!" This one is a good one. This is the nicest conversion job that I've seen. I've seen them done using the I-26M focus mount, this one is with the Canon focus mount of a 50/1.8 Leica Thread Mount lens. Hamish Gill bought one of J-8M conversions done with the I-26 focus mount, had to send it to me to set straight.

Last edited:
Brian - thanks for the reply. Your "guy" just responded to a question I had about the availability of a Jupiter M8 and conversion gear. He said he just won another "ju8" - same lens?" and would get back to me in a few days. He didn't quote a price yet. I'll let you know what I hear back and post it here on the forum.
I'm interested. I really like my Zeiss Planar but would enjoy another 50mm with perhaps a bit more "character", especially with the bokeh.
. . . David

"JU"- Jupiter!

I can't buy the parts for what I paid for each of the lenses from him. I'm going to put the Helios on the M8 and try it out.

The conversion is to Leica Thread Mount, meaning use it with an inexpensive LTM to M-Mount adapter. A Canon 50/1.8 focus mount was used for the conversion, the Canon was made in the early 1950s. Lots of Brass.

Back