Leica Jupiter-8M 53mm — NOT Kiev, But: LTM!

radi(c)al_cam

Regular
Name
Alexander
After my premature rejoice regarding the 1938 Sonnar in a 1960s Soviet Union barrel, I found this:

Fast Russian Portrait JUPITER-8 50/f2 LEICA FED Zorki M39 Lens + Box!

There are some typos in the description [my emphases], see:

"Jupiter-8" 2/50 COATED RARE SOLID LENS FOR
LEICA, FED, ZORKI
The Jupiter-8 is a 5mm f/2 lens with M39 mount (Leica Screwmount) that is the standard lens with many 
camera models. It is derivative of the pre-war Zeiss Sonnar.

— but according to the pictures it’s a Jupiter-8M 2/53.

I strongly suppose, this (and probably any other) Jupiter-8M 2/53 was initially made in Contax/Kiev mount, but apparently the glass found a new home in a 1950s (?) LTM barrel. —— A hermit crab? ;)

There have been five persons watching this item, but finally I thought, it’s inexpensive, let’s buy it :)

I have a similar one- but with an ex-Kiev mount J-8 from 1957 (like me). The focus mount is from an Industar-26m, a Tessar formula lens. The J-8 barrel uses the same threads, but the I-26m uses a retaining ring rather than just having the barrel screw into the mount. The inner helical of the I-26m is too narrow for the J-8 barrel to fit in, so someone must have bored it out.

On mine: I needed to adjust the focal length a bit for it all to work properly. This means the original focal length was on the longer side of 52.4mm, the specs allow a 1% deviation.

24464688934_9aab42650c_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Wide-Open, F2 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Wide-Open.

Back