Canon Just bought a Canon s95

Macro setting

On the LX3 the macro setting does have an effect, but I can't comment on the S95, not having one. First, distance focusing is noticeably faster when not on macro, and slower if macro is on. You can leave it on all the time, but you will take a hit in speed (how big a hit depends on distance, subject, and light). If you are not in Macro mode, then the LX3 will not focus close at all.

Michael

Just researching the s95 as my BPC (back pocket camera) - well there's little choice in this arena other than the GRDIII or to start wearing a set of crutch at the knees 'homey' jeans....and at my age :blush: P.S., don't want to fan the debate about how compact other cameras are - hence why I've posted specifically in the Canon forum. Suffice it to say I had an LX5 and it did not qualify for my specific BPC requirements.

Some stuff I can't really find answers to, that I'm hoping users can answer.

1. Does the s95 have a step zoom? So can I move from 28-35-50-70, etc? Rather than glide from 28 to 64.....

2. What are the transition points across the f2.0-4.9 aperture range?
e.g.,
28mm - f2.0
35mm - f2.4
50mm - f2.8
......etc...to...
105mm - f4.9.
Obviously the 35 & 50mms are a guess, but indicative of what would be really handy to know.

Hope you guys can help....

The S90 and the S95 have step zooms (28-35-50-85-105), if you define the control ring around the lens as step zoom. I don't know the apertures and cannot find out, since I gave my S90 to my mother.

Thanks Pictor. The 28-35-50-85-105 step zoom sounds perfect then - and I assume in Av mode the front ring would control these. IDEAL!!!! So just be curious now as to the max f-stops for each FL.

I don't know the apertures and cannot find out, since I gave my S90 to my mother
I'm sorry about your loss. But must say you are a good son.

Just got back from a wee shopping trip and came back with a Canon s95. I did have the s90 which produced some stunning quality shots but stupidly sold it.....yes i regret it now but after looking at all manner of cameras I decided to stick with what i know and upgraded to the Canon s95.

The battery is charging....not long now........ It's getting cloudy.........looks like it's going to rain......bugger!:mad:

:D

Hello Andy, I am interested in the S95 also, is the body plastic or metal covered? Also do you think it needs a small add on grip. Looking to get one for the Wife. Thanks , for all replies Dennis.

Back