Canon Just bought a Canon s95

Name
Andy
Just got back from a wee shopping trip and came back with a Canon s95. I did have the s90 which produced some stunning quality shots but stupidly sold it.....yes i regret it now but after looking at all manner of cameras I decided to stick with what i know and upgraded to the Canon s95.

The battery is charging....not long now........ It's getting cloudy.........looks like it's going to rain......bugger!:mad:

:D

:rofl:

Very funny!!

Now I have had a chance to play with it a bit I do find that some of the functions are better and the dials are much better than the s90 especially the thumb wheel on the back, that is a huge improvement. The only thing that I wish was different is the location of the pic review button. As with many people I keep pressing it by mistake but that is the only gripe I have. I love the size and am glad I went for the s95. I looked at the Samsung EX1 which would have been a possible purchase but it is huge and heavy, bloody nice camera though! If the LX5 was £50 cheaper (brings it down to the same price as the s95) then I don't know what I would have come home with!:confused:

Andy, Bill etc...
How do you find the interface and IQ compared to the s90?
I had the s90 but it was hijacked away from me...
I have the LX5 but always wonder about the s95 from a friends point of view.

Don

I'm not a pro or an expert but I do like photography and it gives me great pleasure - the following are just my views - many may disagree

User interface - that's the main problem with M43 and compact digitals - they slow you down

for me noting touches the user interface on the Nikon D300 or say a Canon A1 or Nikon F - but I'm bias as I'm used to Nikon, Canon and Pentax SLRs - plus the odd Leica, (which has it's own way and you have to get used to it)

The EP is very confusing - I don't like it - but I like the build quality, IQ and low light of the cam with the 20mm f1.7
The G1 is a lot better - I can get on with it - the kit 14 45bis good and the 20mm exceptional - I'd chose it over the EP as it is a lot more versatile - but the EP1 is smaller and it's the one I take with me to restaurants
and the S95 is good for it's size and IQ for a compact - I can just about manage it but the f stops are just limited and it's not a "proper"camera - it will always come a poor third - although it is very good, (one of the best for me), for what it is - it is the only pocketable good compact around
anything longer than 50mm, AF or MF is just a waste of time on M43

all I want is a SINGLE button, (or wheel or whatever), appropriately placed for EACH of the f value, shutter speed, exposure comp, and ISO and maybe image quality
Then A, S and M and maybe auto, (but not really) - on one twirly anything
If my wife uses the cam, (s95 or previous Canon power shot I always give it to her in Auto mode - that's all she wants - and it's good 90% of the time for what she wants it for}
I hate "modes"
The RAW/Jpeg etc., can be in the menu

I just cannot get away from wanting an OVF - I hate the EVF, although I like the swivel screen

I like to see scale focusing on the lens, (although not needed on the AF models)

I like expensive glass and "fool myself" into thinking that it has a "signature"

Left to me I would only buy Zeiss or Leica glass or MF Nikon or AF Nikon

I would definitely go to FF given my time again and not bother with getting sucked into all this intermediate stuff

Given an unlimited budget - but within reason it would be the following

D700 with good Nikon glass
M9 with Zeiss RF glass
Canon S95 as a carry around
Oly Ep 1 for low light
Pany G1 for adapted lenses and to play around

But I would happy settle for the first two, (or three)

I'm sure I've missed something - so put me right

More than you asked

Cheers

Anyone notice thers's something odd about the Macro mode on the S95? read on Flickr S95 group which explains it more clearly than I, see '100yearstolive' first impressions.
I noticed that there was no differance when taking a pic: either in Macro or just close-up:confused:

Penny, I've moved your post in here, from the image thread, to this one and am hoping we can use Andy's "Just bought a Canon s95" as a place for people to discuss the camera and ask questions about it as well. Hope you get some helpful feedback regarding the Macro mode!

Anyone notice thers's something odd about the Macro mode on the S95? read on Flickr S95 group which explains it more clearly than I, see '100yearstolive' first impressions.
I noticed that there was no differance when taking a pic: either in Macro or just close-up:confused:

I have just tested my s95 and it does indeed not make the slightest difference having the macro mode on or not, hmmmmm I guess as long as it can do macro then all s well.

Perhaps Andy there will be an upgrade is that correct? via the internet; its the first time I've come accross this on any camera I've had:confused:
Thanks BB I never am quite sure where to post odd things

Cheers

Can I just ask anyone using the S95 having a slight problem with the exposure wheel moving too easily I have noticed that mine is often off the zero setting, doesn't seem to made a difference to the result though, I also used to use the camera on Auto at first but now use AV and have the setting on Positive Film because I prefer the vivid colours at this time of the year.

Having had a moan about the rear ring (wheel) above; and at the start of this thread about the so called macro system on this camera; I'm rather pleased to say that the close-up's I've taken are better than I hoped for. (in my view)

Having had a moan about the rear ring (wheel) above; and at the start of this thread about the so called macro system on this camera; I'm rather pleased to say that the close-up's I've taken are better than I hoped for. (in my view)

Yeah it's weird how the Macro setting makes no difference!! Still a damn good camera!!!!!!!!!!! :dance4:

Back