Ricoh Just bought a GXR, why did I wait so long?

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
As a very early adopter of the m4/3 system in the days before there was a selection of good prime lenses I built up a collection of Cosina Voigtlander rangefinder lenses with the 39mm LTM. I had some success with these on the old 12Mp sensor G1 and GF1 but have found more edge smearing and dissatisfaction with the IQ in general when used on later 16Mp and 20Mp sensors.

Yesterday I took delivery of a secondhand GXR with a VF2 evf and an A12 M mount. Having an M bayonet to LTM adapter in my possession I've been able to mount my CV lenses comprising a full set, 12mm, 15mm, 21mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm and 75mm. So far I've only been able to take a few quick shots of the cottage I'm currently renting but the IQ is certainly encouraging me to explore this gem of a camera with this lens set and go back very much to photographic basics.

I've attached some shots using the 12mm, 15mm, 21mm, 25mm and 35mm, uncropped and out of the camera except for a touch of sharpening.

R1030606-12mm.jpg

12mm

R1030609-15mm.jpg

15mm

R1030612-21mm.jpg

21mm

R1030615-25mm.jpg

25mm

R1030618-35mm.jpg

35mm

I think I'm falling in love with it!

Barrie

I remember when these forums were LOADED with GXR users. I occasionally peek at eBay hoping to find a minty GXR with a full set of lensors. Of course, if I had a nice set of lenses already, I'd just grab a body and VF and get to it. Looking forward to more of your photos, Barrie.

I had a GXR, too. With the A16 and A12 modules. It was a lovely camera but I finally had to let it go as I was heavily into micro four thirds. I still have my GR, which is great for street photography. I'm sure your GXR will still give you great service, Barrie. The images look good so far.

I remember when these forums were LOADED with GXR users. I occasionally peek at eBay hoping to find a minty GXR with a full set of lensors. Of course, if I had a nice set of lenses already, I'd just grab a body and VF and get to it. Looking forward to more of your photos, Barrie.
Hi Luke,
I'd read several posts in this forum before going ahead and purchasing the camera and picked up on your interest in this model. It hasn't taken me long to be very impressed by it, almost certainly designed by photographers. Of it's type it must have been cutting edge when introduced and can still give many models a run for their money. Hopefully there will some breaks in the weather in the next few days when I can put it through its paces at a more photogenic location.

Barrie

I just bought a GXR two days ago for $475 brand new!!! It includes the back, the M-mount, 28mm, 24-85mm, 24-75mm, 28-300mm GR Lenses (I'm just missing the 50mm).

I used to have the GX200 many years ago and I still love the images Ricoh cams produce. The snap focus is a joy to use and will have it tested this weekend. Thanks.

Well now, isn't this an interesting thread...

I have just bought a GXR body and I'm contemplating what lens or lenses to pair with it. It isn't my first - back in the day when I was 100% Film Leica and the lamentable M8 and the slightly odd Epson RD-1 were the only digital M-mount kids in town I snapped up the GXR with the Lens Module-M when it first hit the streets. Mine was one of the first in the country and bore the number 00000004. It was that camera/combination that first brought me to Serious Compacts; the Leica crowd looked down on it as a Heath Robinson contraption not to be talked about in polite company and I thirsted for the company of others who, like me, simply found it a cracking platform for some cracking glass.

My Leica days are long past now, save for a IID and a brace of lenses - 5cm and 3.5cm - which I still use regularly. Ultimately the GXR I had first time around frustrated me because of the lack of built-in viewfinder and I sold it on. But that was then and this is now. I am familiar with most of the lensors, having had them the first time. I think for my current purposes - just a bit of fun - I shall restrict myself to the 50mm, sans viewfinder. It's not my main camera by a long chalk, but it's nice to have the GR-handling with a slightly longer lens. I echo the comments made above - Ricoh don't half know how to make cameras for photographers...

I occasionally look for an old GXR kit on eBay, but all I see being offered is the body and the lame "superzoom" lensors. I wish I had one again, but it seems like it's old enough and rare enough that I won't find one for what I think is a reasonable price. I still think it's a some great ideas...and the two primes are very good...and I've seen plenty of great work with the Leica M-mount "lensor"....if I had a few of those lenses, i'd definitely consider it.

The concept was innovative - maybe a bit too much so. The Lensor was supposed to be only part of the offering. I swear I read an article at the time that said a whole ecosystem was planned to take advantage of the mount - a data backup and storage module, a big battery to recharge from and a tablet-like big screen were all mentioned. They would all have docked into the body (or vice versa) through the same multi-pin interface.

Back