Leica Just bought an M-D 262

asiafish

All-Pro
Name
Andrew
Finally joined the CMOS club with the new M-D 262. With the new M10 due next week, I got a great deal on a 2-month-old M-D, which was the only member of the 240 family tree to interest me.

I've only taken one, very boring picture of my messy desk at work, but the color is very nice. We shall see if I bond with it, but I'm really looking forward to the no-chimping life.

Attachments

• IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 63
  • L1000575.jpg
    L1000575.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 69
Took the M-D 262 to a portraiture workshop at the Leica Store San Francisco and borrowed a 50mm f/1 Noctilux for the day (I've got to get one of these). The workshop was called "Photography Wide-Open" and was led by Mark De Paola (who appears in image 7 at work). All images at f/1.

Oh, I couldn't resist the scarf sign and the lady with the hat walking bye, or the photographer for that matter despite the presence of three very attractive young models.

31805567073_acd96fdd5f_b.jpg
L1000722
by Andrew F, on Flickr

32617806225_7c86e1e09a_b.jpg
L1000733
by Andrew F, on Flickr

32495118751_ce514ffc91_b.jpg
L1000745
by Andrew F, on Flickr

32495117171_b337676309_b.jpg
L1000766
by Andrew F, on Flickr

32495115251_5db58b1905_b.jpg
L1000791
by Andrew F, on Flickr

31774464034_46d2e4ac74_b.jpg
L1000801
by Andrew F, on Flickr

32495112141_0e97eb0de8_b.jpg
L1000815
by Andrew F, on Flickr

32495108441_629fca2fe4_b.jpg
L1000845
by Andrew F, on Flickr

32495110051_45a6f1dc98_b.jpg
L1000841
by Andrew F, on Flickr

Great shots, will look forward to seeing more shots from the M-D 262.

I'd love to have a Noctilux, but the 50/1.1 Nokton for $700 is also worth looking at for this look.

However..

This model, I would have gone with a 10.5cm F2.5 Nikkor. Long, tall woman in a Black dress. the lens, that is.

Not shilling for my own ......but the Sonnetar 1.1 is a lot less expensive and pretty fabulous when you get the hang of it. I suspect the CV 50 Nokton might be more well behaved, or perhaps I should say easier to shoot, although that is debatable. I do not mess with the coma settings.

correction ....tall woman in a short skirt.

I would love to be able to learn more about how to photograph at 1.1.....since that is why I bought the darn thing. Perhaps if you can pass on some of that wisdom I might figure out a way you can try a Sonnetar on your new toy.

Great shots, will look forward to seeing more shots from the M-D 262.

I'd love to have a Noctilux, but the 50/1.1 Nokton for $700 is also worth looking at for this look.

However..

This model, I would have gone with a 10.5cm F2.5 Nikkor. Long, tall woman in a Black dress. the lens, that is.

It was a specific exercise at a workshop.

By the way, Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress by The Hollies was the first song I ever purchased. I was five when it came out in 1972 and bought the 45. I still love that song, which I guess means I have the musical tastes of a five-year-old.

Not shilling for my own ......but the Sonnetar 1.1 is a lot less expensive and pretty fabulous when you get the hang of it. I suspect the CV 50 Nokton might be more well behaved, or perhaps I should say easier to shoot, although that is debatable. I do not mess with the coma settings.

correction ....tall woman in a short skirt.

I would love to be able to learn more about how to photograph at 1.1.....since that is why I bought the darn thing. Perhaps if you can pass on some of that wisdom I might figure out a way you can try a Sonnetar on your new toy.

Learn where your lens front-or back focuses wide-open at MFD, and then just keep it there.

I am on my way to doing that .....somewhat systematically, using a cut TLR screen with a split prism. Since I lack live view or other focus aids.

I am on my way to doing that .....somewhat systematically, using a cut TLR screen with a split prism. Since I lack live view or other focus aids.
Email me and I'll send you a word document with rules on it. Focus on the center point with the camera at a 45 degree oblique angle to the page (taped to a wall). You will see how much you are front or back focusing at a given distance and aperture.

I almost signed up for that same workshop when they held it in Boston. I did not because of some conflict. How was it?

Did you like using the Noctilux? I have the f1.0 and use that quite regularly as my only lens when I got out with the family. Especially when I know that it will be later on the day. Focusing might not be 100% spot on but hey, the character of the image is still quite unique. And now, I think I will be using it even more as I just picked up a Leica SL :) and it is so much easier to focus the Noctilux with the SL. I will skip the M10, maybe wait for the M10-p

I almost signed up for that same workshop when they held it in Boston. I did not because of some conflict. How was it?

Did you like using the Noctilux? I have the f1.0 and use that quite regularly as my only lens when I got out with the family. Especially when I know that it will be later on the day. Focusing might not be 100% spot on but hey, the character of the image is still quite unique. And now, I think I will be using it even more as I just picked up a Leica SL :) and it is so much easier to focus the Noctilux with the SL. I will skip the M10, maybe wait for the M10-p

I loved using the Noctilux, and am madly selling off stuff I don't use very much to fund the purchase of one.

Surprise they are lending out the f1.0. When I was at the opening of Leica Boston, all they have was the f0.95. I agree that it is quite heavy.

The Leica Akademie and the Leica Boutique are very effective marketing tool. After being handed a Leica SL with a Noctilux for a few hours (could actually be longer but I got tired), I started selling my Nikon stuff and was ready to move to Leica SL. Long journey that started in September of last year is finally coming to an end. My SL will be here tomorrow. I also picked up the Noctilux in the process. I see that you go the Noctilux bug from that workshop :) Gotta stay away from those workshop, it can be very expensive.

Congrats on these new cameras! I'm hoping someone will bite on the M10 and report on it ...

(Could still be me, I never know when I'll grow tired of being sensible.)

Carl, life is short. hehe. You might have problem with spare battery on the M10 right now. I heard from my dealer that even if you can get the M10, spare battery are hard to find. According to the dealer "not one in the whole world" :) I remember that happening with the M8. I guess they don't disappoint.

For me, I think the M10-P is the one. It will have the look that I want (no red dot).

Carl, life is short. hehe. You might have problem with spare battery on the M10 right now. I heard from my dealer that even if you can get the M10, spare battery are hard to find. According to the dealer "not one in the whole world" :) I remember that happening with the M8. I guess they don't disappoint.

For me, I think the M10-P is the one. It will have the look that I want (no red dot).
You could always get a black M10 and swap the red dot to a black one.

Back